"is not subject to" vs "is not subjected to" vs "was not subjected to"

Hi

May I know what are the differences for

"is not subject to"
"is not subjected to"
"was not subjected to"

and when should each case to be used?

I have this question when I saw a sentence "... is not subjected to..."
I always think that the verb after "not" is always in its basic form.
After a search in this forum, I learned that "not" do not determine the tense of the verb.
A quick look in the dictionary, one of the explanation is written as "... is subject to..."

So I am confused. When should I put a -ed to the verb(subject)? Is "... is not subjected to..." equivalent to the past tense? Then how about "... was not subjected to... "

Thanks a million

ian2

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Re: "is not subject to" vs "is not subjected to" vs "was not subjected to"

Hi

May I know what are the differences for

"is not subject to"
"is not subjected to"
"was not subjected to"

and when should each case to be used?

I have this question when I saw a sentence "... is not subjected to..."
I always think that the verb after "not" is always in its basic form.
After a search in this forum, I learned that "not" do not determine the tense of the verb.
A quick look in the dictionary, one of the explanation is written as "... is subject to..."

So I am confused. When should I put a -ed to the verb(subject)? Is "... is not subjected to..." equivalent to the past tense? Then how about "... was not subjected to... "

Thanks a million

"Subject to" means depending on something else, in which "subject" is an adjective. In "Subjected to" , "subjected" is a past participle and is from the verb "subject", which implies being forced to experience something. For example, products are subjected to all kinds of testing. (Maybe the laws subject the products to testing, so the products are subjected to testing.)

Subject to is different. For example, The agreement should be carried out, subject to the approval of the government, in which "subject to" means depending on. Hope this helps.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"Subject to" means depending on something else, in which "subject" is an adjective. In "Subjected to" , "subjected" is a past participle and is from the verb "subject", which implies being forced to experience something. For example, products are subjected to all kinds of testing. (Maybe the laws subject the products to testing, so the products are subjected to testing.)

Subject to is different. For example, The agreement should be carried out, subject to the approval of the government, in which "subject to" means depending on. Hope this helps.

:up::up:

:eek:nfire: I hate those station announcements that say 'services may be subject to delay', when what they mean is 'services are subject to delay, [and any particular train may be subjected to delay (i.e. delayed).]

b

sukide

Member Type
Student or Learner

Thanks alot for the help =)

Status
Not open for further replies.