• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

beyond normal life expectancy

It says:

I believe that Michelangelo, who lived a few days shy of eighty-nine years, still sculpting, painting, writing, and designing in an age when ninety was about sixty years beyond normal life expectancy....

That means Michelangelo was very long-lived because people in his age (or his era) normally died at 30??? Am I right??

and one more question:

Michelangelo painted the ceiling by lying on his back and working everyday for four years between 1508-1512. It was a project that lesser artists would have considered impossible.

what is "lesser artist"? the artist who is less famous?? sound weird, doesn't it?? pls help.
    Last edited by beeja; 30-Mar-2007 at 10:56.

Re: beyond normal life expectancy

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    It says:

I believe that Michelangelo, who lived a few days shy of eighty-nine years, still sculpting, painting, writing, and designing in an age when ninety was about sixty years beyond normal life expectancy....

That means Michelangelo was very long-lived because people in his age (or his era) normally died at 30??? Am I right?? Yes - though I think it is usually said that the Average life expectancy was around 30.

and one more question:

Michelangelo painted the ceiling by lying on his back and working everyday for four years between 1508-1512. It was a project that lesser artists would have considered impossible.

what is "lesser artist"? the artist who is less famous?? sound weird, doesn't it?? pls help. "lesser artists" are artists whose skills/talents are not as great as the artist being discussed, in this case Michelangelo.