How can I ask

Hi !!!

I'm new to this site. I have a doubt, my mother tongue is Spanish and we often say "llamo de parte del seņor X", that means that a person (in this case
    a Mister X) told me to call another person (because I'm looking for a job, etc.) so I'm not sure if the translation could be "I'm calling from Mr. X".

Is it correct to use from in this case? Is there a way American people say that? or I have to say Mr. X told me to call you because ....etc.

Hope I have explained myself

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Re: How can I ask

I'm calling from Mr X won't work in English. Sorry.

Welcome, rggg1971.

I'm a newcomer too,my mother tongue is japanese but i grown up in VietNam so writing and reading English is very difficult for(I'm not sure tthis prep) me .You are Mexican (It's not far from USA) may be you very good at English.I 'm very fun to take part in this site.
    Hi everybody!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by rggg1971 View Post
    Hi !!!

I'm new to this site. I have a doubt, my mother tongue is Spanish and we often say "llamo de parte del seņor X", that means that a person (in this case
    a Mister X) told me to call another person (because I'm looking for a job, etc.) so I'm not sure if the translation could be "I'm calling from Mr. X".

Is it correct to use from in this case? Is there a way American people say that? or I have to say Mr. X told me to call you because ....etc.

Hope I have explained myself

Thanks in advance!!!!!

In a case like that, you'd say something like "Hi, my name is rggg1971. Mr. X suggested (or recommended) that I call you...."