• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

turn the corner

Original text:

Many professionals working with the homelessness problem realize that it is necessary to turn the corner from a temporary, emergency response to a long-range strategy.

Question: Is the phrase "turn the corner" different from "turn a corner"? I see the dictionary definitions of the two, but I thought they are just related to mean sort of the same thing? Students turn to treat them as two different phrases without any connection. Do they arise from the same metaphoric conception?

And in this sentence, howis the part "from... response to a... strategy" grammatically linked with the phrase "turn the corner"? Thanks!
    Last edited by ian2; 04-Apr-2007 at 19:07.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: turn the corner

Quote Originally Posted by ian2 View Post
    Original text:

Many professionals working with the homelessness problem realize that it is necessary to turn the corner from a temporary, emergency response to a long-range strategy.

Question: Is the phrase "turn the corner" different from "turn a corner"? I see the dictionary definitions of the two, but I thought they are just related to mean sort of the same thing? Students turn to treat them as two different phrases without any connection. Do they arise from the same metaphoric conception?

And in this sentence, howis the part "from... response to a... strategy" grammatically linked with the phrase "turn the corner"? Thanks!
    to turn the corner I see no semantic difference - both mean to reach and go beyond a midpoint