bodyline through

Unfortunately, in the lengthy post-mortems over our exit from the world cup (why cant we just accept that we weren't good enough), we perhaps haven't quite understood just what the death of Bob Woolmer means to the game. Cricket, like all sport, has never been far from controversy. From Bodyline through to match-fixing, the image of the gentleman's game was only a carefully cultivated media myth. The cricket world always existed beyond the leisurely Sunday afternoon match at the gymkhana, where over glasses of nimbu pani and plates of chicken sandwiches, the colonial dictum prevailed that it wasn't winning or losing but playing by the rules that was the ultimate symbol of 'sportsmanship".

I know the meaning of `dictum' but I couldn't understand what is `colonial dictum'
    Could you explain it?
    Also please explain `bodyline through'

Re: bodyline through

Bodyline : Bodyline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Regarded as not something that should be done.

"Bodyline [through to] match-fixing" - examples of bad behaviour in sport.

colonial dictum - colonial saying [ This saying has nothing to do with the colonies. It is fundamental to the way in which sport was regarded in England until quite recently]

Gary, this writer really has an appalling use of words. You should use him as an example of how not to write!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Aaland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Regarded as not something that should be done
    I would want to say "Regarded as something that should not be done", because for me, it means "Regarded as not [something] but [something else]"; that is, for me, it implies contrast.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Bodyline : Bodyline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Regarded as not something that should be done.

"Bodyline [through to] match-fixing" - examples of bad behaviour in sport.

colonial dictum - colonial saying [ This saying has nothing to do with the colonies. It is fundamental to the way in which sport was regarded in England until quite recently]

Gary, this writer really has an appalling use of words. You should use him as an example of how not to write!
    I agree about this writer. But he has also made several mistakes over points of fact. The laws of cricket (purists decry the use of the term 'rules'), specify certain things. There is also the 'spirit of the laws'. The colonial attitude was not that 'it wasn't winning or losing but playing by the rules' - it was that what mattered was playing according to the spirit of the laws. There's a neat saying: 'Cricket isn't a matter of life and death. It's more important than that.'

And, dihen, Anglika's 'Regarded as not something that should be done' is fine, and doesn't mean the same as 'Regarded as something that should not be done'. It means that there are unwritten things 'that should be done', and that the behaviour goes against that code: 'it's just not cricket' - an expression that is used in any (even non-sporting) context, to mean 'unacceptable in the terms of some unwritten code of behaviour': 'You can't just not turn up for the date - it's not cricket.'

b