And expect for a fine century

The Black Caps, on the other hand did not have a great day on the field with as many as three drop catches, as even the bowlers failed to do anything extra-ordinary.

And expect for a fine century by Scott styris in the first innings, nothing went the Kiwis' way on Thursday.

When I read the first pargraph, I had understood the first red marked paragraph thorougly. But when I started reading the second violet marked pagraph, I hadn't understood what is the link between the two pargraphs.
    Because first pargraphs says, Nothing went good to Black Caps (Newzealand), but in the second pargraph on the contrary, `Scott Styris' scored centured which tells everything went good to them(Newzealand).
    So, I am being confused.
    Could you help me on this?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: And expect for a fine century

When I read the first pargraph, I had understood the first red marked paragraph thorougly. But when I started reading the second violet marked pagraph, I hadn't understood what is the link between the two pargraphs.
    Because first pargraphs says, Nothing went good to Black Caps (Newzealand), but in the second pargraph on the contrary, `Scott Styris' scored centured which tells everything went good to them(Newzealand).
    So, I am being confused.
    I took the initiative of correcting some mistakes in this paragraph to help you out. I hope that's ok

[...]I had understood the first red marked paragraph thorougly.

First of all, I would recommend using "Firefox". Firefox is a browser that checks your spelling.

It underlines spelling mistakes like:

"thorougly"

The correct spelling is thoroughly. But I'm sure that was just a typo. Still Firefox is very useful and will greatly help reduce spelling mistakes (whether they are conscious or not).

Also in your sentence, you're using the past perfect.

"I had understood". But what you are describing an event that began and finished in the past and so you should use the simple past:

"When I read the first paragraph, I understood it thoroughly. But when I read the second paragraph, I couldn't understand the link between the two."

Thanks for corrections

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    The Black Caps, on the other hand did not have a great day on the field with as many as three dropped [your typo or the report's?] catches, as even the bowlers failed to do anything extra-ordinary.

And except [your typo or the report's?] for a fine century by Scott Styris in the first innings, nothing went the Kiwis' way on Thursday.

So, I am being confused.
    Together the two sentences say that, apart from Styris's century, the New Zealand team did very badly on both days.