Please help me :)

Dear Teachers,
    In fact, I am not a teacher. But, I am teaching English one of my friend. She can not speak English. Firstly, I teached verb "to be" and "possesives pronouns". And she understood very well. But the problem is she is coerced with making sentences. I think she needs more exercise. She needs to make conversations. She understands the gramatical rules, but she can't make new sentences. Please direct me about teaching effectively.
    Thank You very much.

Cigdem Bayrak
    Turkey/Istanbul

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Re: Please help me :)

Quote Originally Posted by cyavuz34 View Post
    Dear Teachers,
    In fact, I am not a teacher. But, I am teaching English one of my friend. She can not speak English. Firstly, I teached verb "to be" and "possesives pronouns". And she understood very well. But the problem is she is coerced with making sentences. I think she needs more exercise. She needs to make conversations. She understands the gramatical rules, but she can't make new sentences. Please direct me about teaching effectively.
    Thank You very much.

Cigdem Bayrak
    Turkey/Istanbul
    Hi cyavuz34,

I'm not a teacher, either, but I may have some suggestions that could help you.
    I think you should teach her how to "write" first, that is she should write sentences taking the grammatical rules into consideration, and only after she becomes fluent in writing, should she start speaking. Starting to speaking a second language is hard.

Hope this helps