• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

no little etc.

Dear teachers,
    I have four questions to ask:

No.1
    The new of his resignation has been greeted with no little surprise by those who know him.
    Does 'no little' mean 'much'? In other words, does the sentence mean ' It was expected that those who know him would greet his resignation'?

No.2
    If yo find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you______.
    a. will succeed b. will have succeeded
    The key is 'b'. But I think it should be 'a' because there is no future tense so we can't choose 'a'. Is that right?

No.3
    I visualized ____ I wanted to be, ____ kind of player I wanted to become, I knew exactly where I wanted to go, and I focused on getting there.
    a. where, what b. who, what c. what, which d. whom, what
    The key is 'a'. I think 'where' means ' degree'. My question is: Can I choose 'b', which means 'what kind of person I wanted to be'?

No.4
    You never find yourself_____ you face the truth.
    a. until b. unless
    The key is 'a'. I think it suggests 'time'. But I think 'b' is also correct, which suggests 'condition'. Is that right?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 14-Apr-2007 at 10:33.

Re: no little etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

No.1
    The new of his resignation has been greeted with no little surprise by those who know him.
    Does 'no little' mean 'much'? In other words, does the sentence mean ' It was expected that those who know him would greet his resignation'? They were all very surprised. They had not expected this resignation.

No.2
    If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you______.

The key is 'b'. But I think it should be 'a' because there is no future tense so we can't choose 'a'. Is that right? I am unhappy about the sense of the sentence. You will/will have succeed/ed in what/doing what?

No.3
    I visualized ____ I wanted to be, ____ kind of player I wanted to become, I knew exactly where I wanted to go, and I focused on getting there.

The key is 'a'. I think 'where' means ' degree'. Does it not indicate position in that the ambition is (metaphorically) to arrive at being a specific kind of player.

My question is: Can I choose 'b', which means 'what kind of person I wanted to be'? I think not in relation to the full context of the sentence.

No.4
    a. until b. unless

The key is 'a'. I think it suggests 'time'. But I think 'b' is also correct, which suggests 'condition'. Is that right? I think you could use "unless" if you have "You will never..."

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

No.1
    The news of his resignation has been greeted with no little surprise by those who know him.
    Does 'no little' mean 'much'? In other words, does the sentence mean ' It was expected that those who know him would greet his resignation'?
    I admit this got me confused so I looked it up and found no little - Synonyms from Thesaurus.com
    So I would say it means that those who knew him were not surprised at the news of his resignation.
    Another thing that confused me was what you said. Does 'no little' mean 'much'? and 'It was expected that those who know him would greet his resignation' seem to me two different things.
    No.2
    If yo find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you______.
    The key is 'b'. But I think it should be 'a' because there is no future tense so we can't choose 'a'. Is that right?

Without looking at the key I would have said 'b' but I don't know why 'a' is wrong.
    No.3
    The key is 'a'. I think 'where' means ' degree'. My question is: Can I choose 'b', which means 'what kind of person I wanted to be'?

No.4
    a. until b. unless
    The key is 'a'. I think it suggests 'time'. But I think 'b' is also correct, which suggests 'condition'. Is that right?
    For 3 and 4 I agree with Anglika.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    I know it's not much help but at least you get some feedback.

queenbu

I admit this got me confused so I looked it up and found no little - Synonyms from Thesaurus.com
    So I would say it means that those who knew him were not surprised at the news of his resignation.

This got me thinking, so eventually I Googled the phrase "with no little surprise", and the first ten hits all use the phrase in the sense of being "greatly surprised". I stand by my original answer.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Anglika,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    No.2
    The original sentence is: .... you_____.
    Could you please tell me which is correct?
    Thank you in advance.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear queenbu,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand all of them except No.1 because I got different explanation.
    Have a nice weekend.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    I know it's not much help but at least you get some feedback.

queenbu

No.2
    If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you______.

OK - I've studied this again, and in the end have concluded that [a] is fine:

If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will succeed [[in doing so]]

[b] would need to have the past tense of "find" - found - to make sense.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Anglika,
    Thank you very much for your further explanation. Now I see.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

This got me thinking, so eventually I Googled the phrase "with no little surprise", and the first ten hits all use the phrase in the sense of being "greatly surprised". I stand by my original answer.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Yes, Anglika you must be right.
    Thinking about it this morning I see things from a different point of view.
    So,
    It was no great surprise to see him there = I wasn't very surprised
    It was no little surprise to see him there=I was very surprised
    I'm more used to seeing 'no great surprise', 'no big deal',etc
    Going back to the original phrase and to thesaurus, I guess the synonym which might fit in is 'evident'
    The news of his resignation has been greeted with no little surprise by those who know him.
    The news of his resignation has been greeted with evident surprise by those who know him.
    Right? - q

It would certainly work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast