• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

message etc.

Dear teachers,
    I have two questions to ask:

No.1

Advertising is used for public service ________ as well we for commercial ones. Advertising agencies produce the campaigns of organizations such as the Red Cross, helping them to collect money for their work.

a. information b. messages c. news

The key is 'b'. I don't know why 'a' and 'c' are not correct. Could you please explain them to me.

No.2
    Morton was reading the Times Magazine section, one arm __________ around her shoulder.
    a. flinging b, flung
    The key is 'b'. Why isn't 'a' correct? Does it mean we should say 'One arm was flung around her shoulder'? In other words I can't say 'One arm flung around her shoulder'?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.
    Jiang

Re: message etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,
    I have two questions to ask:

No.1

Advertising is used for public service ________ as well we for commercial ones. Advertising agencies produce the campaigns of organizations such as the Red Cross, helping them to collect money for their work.

a. information b. messages c. news

The key is 'b'. I don't know why 'a' and 'c' are not correct. Could you please explain them to me.I would prefer "information" in this context, but the writer is indicating that the agencies are putting across a message about the public service(s) and what they do.

The sentences in themselves are not well written. If I was writing them, I would phrase them:

As well as commercial work, advertising can be used to inform about public services. Advertising agencies produce campaigns for organizations such as the Red Cross, helping them in their fund-raising.

Another point: charities such the the Red Cross are really "non-commercial bodies" rather than "public services, which usually means services provided by government.

No.2
    Morton was reading the Times Magazine section, one arm __________ around her shoulder.
    a. flinging b, flung
    The key is 'b'. Why isn't 'a' correct? Does it mean we should say 'One arm was flung around her shoulder'? In other words I can't say 'One arm flung around her shoulder'?Yes, you can. "Flinging" would imply he is doing the action now. As he "was reading" - already reading - he is sitting beside her with one arm over her shoulders. Shoulders should be plural here as the writer has used "around" - difficult to put an arm around one shoulder.

Thank you in advance.
    Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Anglika,
    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    I understand No.2 now.
    No.1. Did you mean both are correct but 'information' is better than messages?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

Hi Jiang

No.1
    The word 'news' is typically used when providing information about occurrences -- whether planned or unplanned. Advertising something involves providing information about something planned or thought out.

The word 'information' could be used in your sentence, but advertising agencies themselves typically look at their work as providing a 'message'.

I didn't quite understand Anglika's comment about "public services". Your sentence refers to the advertising of "services" which are available to the public without charge. Public services can be provided by government agencies as well as by nonprofit organizations such as the Red Cross.

No. 2
    I would not use the word 'flinging' in your sentence.
    Using the word 'flinging' in your sentence would suggest to me that Morton's arm was in constant motion -- i.e. flinging again and again.

Yes, the sentence means that Morton had flung his arm around her shoulder(s) once and at the end of that "fling", Morton left his arm around her shoulder(s).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Philly,
    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    I understand No.2 now. No.1: As far as I understand the difference between you and Anglika is you think 'message' is better than 'information'. Is that right?

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Hi Jiang

No.1
    The word 'news' is typically used when providing information about occurrences -- whether planned or unplanned. Advertising something involves providing information about something planned or thought out.

The word 'information' could be used in your sentence, but advertising agencies themselves typically look at their work as providing a 'message'.

I didn't quite understand Anglika's comment about "public services". Your sentence refers to the advertising of "services" which are available to the public without charge. Public services can be provided by government agencies as well as by nonprofit organizations such as the Red Cross.

No. 2
    I would not use the word 'flinging' in your sentence.
    Using the word 'flinging' in your sentence would suggest to me that Morton's arm was in constant motion -- i.e. flinging again and again.

Yes, the sentence means that Morton had flung his arm around her shoulder(s) once and at the end of that "fling", Morton left his arm around her shoulder(s).

Hi Jiang

There is one thing that makes "messages" the only possible correct choice in sentence No.1 -- the use of the word 'ones':
    Advertising is used for public service messages as well we for commercial ones

(I also assume that the word 'we' is a typo and should be 'as'.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Philly,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Hi Jiang

There is one thing that makes "messages" the only possible correct choice in sentence No.1 -- the use of the word 'ones':
    Advertising is used for public service messages as well we for commercial ones.

(I also assume that the word 'we' is a typo and should be 'as'.)