Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Author Allie

In France, if you were having at least ten people for a celebration, would they serve ham or turkey?

Re: Author Allie

Probably neither! The French are most sophisticated in food. It will depend on where in France you are, and what time of year.

Anglika, it's you again - my friend. This still refers to my novel. An american woman is staying with a doctor and his housekeeper and her children are coming to France, in the country, near Giverny to celebrate Thanksgiving with them.

I have used an appetizer from a link you sent me to...also used their name for pumpkin pie.

You asked about the gourds, they will be used for decorations with late blooming mums.

Here we usually have Turkey. I like the dressing the best. Here we have "Honey Baked" hams. Do you have them there. They are so good.

So...what would they cook as the meat for this meal. There will be 9 people staying over the weekend, breakfast, lunch and dinners. (Remember this is a fictional novel - that's a lot of people) I will probably to with a quiche for lunch and eat out a little. Haven't thought that far

Such an occasion should be lavishly enjoyed with good food and wine !

Suggested breakfast menu:
    Fresh fruits, croissants, omelette with herbs,coffee & tea

Lunch:
    Trout with almonds served with a mixed green salad
    Goat cheese souffle

Dinner:
    Entree: Mussels steamed in white wine served with crusty French bread
    Main course: Duck in orange sauce
    Dessert: Baked custard with burned sugar
    Cheese platter

Plenty of good French wine to go with the meals of course ( maybe champagne with breakfast or is it a bit too much ? )

Bon appetit !

Yum yum - and remember - in France the cheese is served before the dessert.

We don't *really* celebrate Thanksgiving, but when we do, we go for the turkey without doubt. It's the occasion to have a would-be typical american lunch: coleslaw, corn on the cob, chees cake, and the likes.

Thanks so much Francois. I am surprised by your answer and am also pleased. Are you native French? My entire story is about a woman who arrives in Paris and becomes very sick...different aliments. I need many French oriented material.

I have had lots of books from the library and I translate online. Maybe you could help me when I get stuck again. Thanks. Allie

Sure, as long as I have the time, I'll be happy to help.
    Oui c'est ma langue maternelle.

Francois, Allie has mistakenly posted a new thread: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...hor-allie.html

I've left a redirect for him to come back here.

All the best.

Oh, ok. You can lock the other thread I guess

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast