United States
Current Location
United States
"Doing good" usually means, "Doing good deeds."

"He has done a lot of good in the community."

saidon

Member Type
Student or Learner
It is correct to say "doing well" as Adverbs are used to modify verb and adjecttives are used to modify nouns. Since good is an adjective, you cannot use it to modify verb doing. THerefore it is right to say doing well rather than saying doing good. But in America it is common to say doing good. But gramatically it is right to say doing well.

Francois

I agree with Mykwyner, you do well (for yourself) and you do good (for others, or God, or whatever).

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In America, we often use the word good as a noun, sort of a shortened form of good deeds, good nature or good works. It is not an error to say, "He does a great deal of good in this neighborhood."

You are, of course, correct to say that that good is an adjective and well is an adverb, but sometimes these definitions can be transitory, which makes them difficult for non-native speakers to learn.

If she looks good(adjective), she's very attractive; if she looks well(adjective), she's no longer sick. She sees good(noun) in everyone she meets, even though she doesn't see well(adverb) at all without her glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.