1. almanar

Question Do you think?

Hi,
    I am a teacher of English...
    & i would like to ask if there is any difference between "Do you think...." & "Dont you think...."
    Does each question determine the answer..i've read this in the book i teach..but it is unlogical...
    What do you think?

Thanks from now.....;)

Lightbulb Re: Do you think?

I think their the same they both mean do u ever think i think lol just send me a message and we'll have a betta convosation about this

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Re: Do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by almanar View Post
    Hi,
    I am a teacher of English...
    & i would like to ask if there is any difference between "Do you think...." & "Dont you think...."
    Does each question determine the answer..i've read this in the book i teach..but it is unlogical...
    What do you think?

Thanks from now.....;)
    There is a slight difference in the two questions.
    'Don't you think....?' seems to suggest the answer.
    example
    Don't you think you should pay attention? meaning that you should certainly pay attention, it would be better for you to do so, whilst,
    Do you think you should pay attention? means 'Do you think it's necessary for you to pay attention?'

Don't you think this book is very interesting? - you're expecting a positive answer even though you might answer 'No, not really.' It shows that the speaker finds the book very interesting.

Do you think this book is very interesting?- it doesn't express an opinion on the speaker's part.

q's MO

Smile Re: Do you think?

Thanks alot queenbu,,,
    your reply is very helpful...