Wink What does "pick a battle" mean?

What does "pick a battle" mean in the following article? especially the word "pick"? Thank u !!

Picking Your Battles
    By Lorilee Craker

"NO PANTS! I want to wear my pajamas!" My three-year-old was filled with righteous indignation over my suggestion that it was time to get on a shirt and pants for preschool.
    His arms were folded over his chest, and his lip jutted out in defiance. Irritated and about to run late, I dug in my heels. "Ez, you have to wear clothes to school."
    "I am wearing clothes!" The child even stomped his foot at that statement. But he did have a point. It wasn't like he wanted to go flouncing off to school in his birthday suit, although that scenario was certainly possible. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it, I figured, hoping fervently we wouldn't.
    Faced with this flannel-clad bundle of opposition and with about five minutes to put out this fire - or fuel it - I made a choice to let this one go.
    "Ez, you may not talk to me like that, but you may wear your Thomas the Tank Engine jammies if you ask nicely." Stunned that he could actually be allowed to do so, Ezra acquiesced. He unfolded his arms, un-pouted his lower lip, and then asked nicely if he could please wear his pajamas to school.
    The thought flitted through my mind that my mother never, under any circumstances, would have allowed her little child to attend school or any other public function wearing pajamas. She would have as soon burned her bra in a front-yard bonfire and declared herself a patriot of the women's liberation movement.
    But I, semiliberated and wearing a bra, picked a battle at that moment. Or rather, I picked "no" on fighting that particular battle. Why? Well, it's preschool, not the SATs. You know, finger painting and cookie baking, an unstructured, winsome place where whimsy and wonder abound. I knew he would be sufficiently warm and decently clothed, and also that his whimsical teachers wouldn't blink an eye over Ezra's one-man pajama day. (Indeed, Miss Susan and Miss Catherine celebrated his entrance with great fanfare and made a big fuss over how silly and funny and wonderful Ezra was to wear his pajamas to school!)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: What does "pick a battle" mean?

pick a battle - decide when/where/on what terms to have a battle.

The expression may be related to the phrase 'pick a fight', but when you pick a fight you actually provoke it; the expression 'pick a battle' has no connotations of provocation - it's just a matter of choice.

b

Smile Re: What does "pick a battle" mean?

Thank u !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    pick a battle - decide when/where/on what terms to have a battle.
    ..... it's just a matter of choice.
    b
    As an example to BobK comments, it's usually one that you feel confident you can win or that will be advantageous to your situation.

For instance, suppose you have a co-worker who is always using your office supplies which causes you to reorder more often than you would like and you have decided to say something about it (rebuke them). Let's say this same co-worker is also responsible for doing your work while you are on vacation for the next few days.

In the event your co-worker should become upset over your rebuke and retaliate by sabotaging your work, you decide not to say anything until you get back from vacation thus, "Picking your battle".

word

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

b