as well as to/and to?

Could someone please look at the sentence below for grammar mistakes, and also tell me which one of the highlighted phrases I use?

He repeats the third line in order to imprint it on the readerís/listenerís memory, as well as/and to foreground the presence of a non-literal meaning, but not the meaning itself.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: as well as to/and to?

I believe that are both grammatically correct.

I don't think a comma (,) is required before and however.

"He repeats the third line in order to imprint it on the readerís/listenerís memory and to foreground the presence of a non-literal meaning, but not the meaning."

May I offer another suggestion?

I wouldn't add "/listener" here. It doesn't really add anything beneficial to your sentence. I think as a rule of thumb the more simple and to the point a sentence is, the better.

Also, look at the part in red. you use an adjective with the first "meaning" I think you should also use another adjective with the second "meaning". That would make the contrast more obvious.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I like the suggestions you've just gotten, but I've never heard "foreground" used as a verb.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Interesting that you would say that.

I quickly rushed to my dictionaries to have a look.

Some of them do not mention the use of foreground as a verb (Collins COBUILD)

Following the advice of Bobk not to stop after the first definition, I Googled it for a while.

As it turns out, foreground can be used as a verb, according to Merriam-Webster:

" Main Entry: 2foreground
    Function: transitive verb
    : to bring to the foreground; especially : to give prominence or emphasis to"

It's new for me as well

Dear Noego,
    The suggestions are really helpful. It's so thoughtful of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Noego View Post
    I believe that are both grammatically correct.

I don't think a comma (,) is required before and however.

"He repeats the third line in order to imprint it on the readerís/listenerís memory and to foreground the presence of a non-literal meaning, but not the meaning." Is it wrong to use "itself" at the end here? These are actually not my words. I will put a website link at the end of this post. You can see the words used by a great gentleman (Brainstorm).

May I offer another suggestion?

I wouldn't add "/listener" here. It doesn't really add anything beneficial to your sentence. I think as a rule of thumb the more simple and to the point a sentence is, the better. OK. Thanks a lot!

Also, look at the part in red. you use an adjective with the first "meaning" I think you should also use another adjective with the second "meaning". That would make the contrast more obvious. What about 'literal'?

Here's the link. Just see the first reply by dear Brainstorm.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...-oddities.html

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I like the suggestions you've just gotten, but I've never heard "foreground" used as a verb.
    Hi,
    Many thanks for taking out some of your precious time out for me. Thanks a million billion trillion!