1. nvrartu

Red face i need help!

in my class we are doing idioms and i need help with finding the meanings of them. Can you pleeease help me with the following?
    -get your feet wet
    -give someone the shirt off you back
    -go for broke
    -go over like a lead balloon

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: i need help!

get your feet wet (mainly American)
    to experience something for the first time, especially something that involves taking a risk. Investors are encouraged to get their feet wet by buying just a few shares to begin with.
    See also: feet, wet
    IdiI()Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms Cambridge University Press 1998

would give you the shirt off their back (informal) if someone would give you the shirt off their back, they are extremely generous. Karen's not well off, but she'd give you the shirt off her back.
    See also: back, give
    IdiI();Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms Cambridge University Press 1998
    go for broke (informal)
    to risk everything in order to achieve the result you want. She decided to go for broke and pursue her acting career full-time.
    See also: broke
    IdiI()Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms Cambridge University Press 1998

go down like a lead balloon (humorous)
    if something that you say or show to people goes down like a lead balloon, they do not like it at all. My joke went down like a lead balloon.

Perhaps you should 'get your feet wet' and try using a search engine

I was going to refer you to the 'idioms' section here, but the link seems to be broken.