• Post Thanks / Like

See whether I use these words correctly or not.....

Assiduous
    Ali is a assiduous student as he knows that diligence is the mother of good furtune.Thus,he works very hard to achieve good results in the exams.

Indefatigable
    He is indefatigable in trying to become the best badminton player in the world though he has faced a lot of failures all these years.

Pertinacious
    He is pertinacious to enter the university as it is his mum's last wishes.Thus,he almost uses every single time to study.

Crop up
    Something has just cropped up when I enter the examination hall.I forget to bring my pencil box!

In the vicinity of
    You have to pay in the vicinity of $100 if you want to buy a ticket to Sydney.

Vicinity
    There are a lot of shopping malls that can be found in the immediate vicinity of this town.

Beset
    We had been beset by a lot of problems before we successfully reached home.

Eke out
    The family tried to eke the food out as they live from hands to mouths.

Bow to
    Eventually we bowed to his determination and gave him a pass in the exam.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: See whether I use these words correctly or not.....

Quote Originally Posted by abs View Post
    Assiduous
    Ali is a assiduous student as he knows that diligence is the mother of good furtune.Thus,he works very hard to achieve good results in the exams.

Indefatigable
    He is indefatigable in trying to become the best badminton player in the world though he has faced a lot of failures all these years.

Pertinacious
    He is pertinacious to enter the university as it is his mum's last wishes.Thus,he almost uses every single time to study. I've said elsewhere (https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...determind.html ), you'd better avoid this word . In any case 'pertinacious to' doesn't work. If you must use the word, 'It is pertinacious of him to...'. And 'as it was his mother's last wish [singular]'. In order to have a last wish you have to be dead - so simple past. And 'every single' refers to countable nouns: 'every single day'/'every single minute'. 'Time' can be either countable ('every time we say goodbye') or uncountable ('he studies all the time'), but here it's UC. So say something like 'he studies all the time' or 'he studies at every available moment' or make it countable: 'every single time he gets the chance, he studies'.

Crop up
    Something has just cropped up when I entered the examination hall.I forgot to bring my pencil box! 'Cropped up' doesn't really fit here; it usually refers to an event; forgetting happens, but I wouldn't call it an event.

In the vicinity of
    You have to pay in the vicinity of $100 if you want to buy a ticket to Sydney.
    Rather mannered. Normally you'd say "about"; to be more formal you could say 'in the region of'.
    Vicinity
    There are a lot of shopping malls that can be found in the immediate vicinity of this town.
    OK in a tourist brochure, but in speech you'd be more likely to say 'near'.
    Beset
    We had been beset by [a lot of] problems before we successfully reached home. If you're beset by problems, there are lots of them. And the past perfect sounds strange here: "beset by" is a state.

Eke out
    The family tried to eke the food out as they ["had to"] live from hand[s] to mouth[s]. for 'eke out', but the number of 'from hand to mouth' doesn't change according to the number of hands/mouths!

Bow to
    Eventually we bowed to his determination and gave him a pass in the exam.
    b
    Last edited by BobK; 29-Apr-2007 at 13:03.