• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Can you explain the sentence about Ying and Yang?

Hello Everyone,

I have met a English Sentence about Ying and Yang, which is translated from a Chinese one. I can't fully understand it . Could you please explain it to me?

First I will according to my understanding tell you something about Ying and Yang. The Chinese Philosophy argues that everything in the Universe,including the Universe itself, the galaxy,the solar sysytem, human, animal etc is composed of Ying and Yang and everything can be classified into Ying and Yang. For example, Chinese believe that Sun belongs to Yang and Moon belongs to Ying. Women can be classified into Ying and man into Yang. Fire is Yang while water is Ying...More intrestingly different sections or organs can be classifed into the two main characteristics.I will just give you several examples here.The upper body (from one's head to one's waist)belongs to Yang and and down body( from one's hip to one's feet) belongs to Ying.The left part of your body belongs to Yang and the right part of your boday is Ying. Liver is yang and Kidney is Ying...It is belived in some of famous medical works , like Huang emporor's classics of inner medicine ,that if one's Ying and Yang is upset or loses balances, he will be developing ill!

The follwoing is the sentence I can't fully understand!

Ying and Yang are mutually opposing and constraining,interdependent and mutually promoting ,proportionally changing with the decease of one resulting in ,or from ,the increase of the other.
    I don't know whether you can understand the sentence given ,esp the underlined.

By the way , how many days do you take off during May 1st?

Thanks and best Regards

Happy May 1st.

I

Re: Can you explain the sentence about Ying and Yang?

In other words, if Ying increases, Yang descreases, and vice versa. (It's the first Law of Thermodynamics: Energy can be changed from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed.)

Does that help?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you .I have caught the meaning!

You're most welcome, and Happy Spring Holiday.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

May 1st is a public holiday but in Italy when there is a Monday in between (May 1st falls on a Tuesday) they take Monday off as well, in Italian 'si fa il ponte' literally translated 'they do/make??? a bridge'!!!especially schools!