Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"I determined to go next day and see the Time Traveller again. I was told he was in the laboratory, and, being on easy terms in the house, I went up to him. The laboratory however was empty."

excerpt from "The time machine" - H.G. Wells

I have looked up the Oxford dictionary for the phrase "on easy terms" and the meaning is "(of a loan) with a low rate of interest, or (of a purchase) allowing the buyer to pay gradually over a long period". I don't think this is the meaning of "on easy terms" in the excerpt. So what is the true meaning of "on easy terms"
Thanks!

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Welcome, polygon. :hi:

In other words, navigating his way through the house to the laboratory was easy; it wasn't burdensome, which is the same with buying something on easy terms.

Does that help?

All the best. :-D

bianca

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Being on easy terms in the house : not having things to do, chores, obligations; being at leisure to do anything you want

polygon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
A big thanks to both of you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sorry to have to disagree with everyone ;-), but in that social/historical/English context 'being on easy terms in the house' meant that he was free to go where he pleased on his own, without being accompanied by a maid or butler - he went up to the laboratory on his own. Even today, someone who is about to leave (in polite society) has to be 'shown to the door' - but probably by the host rather than a servant. If the host is on more familiar terms with a guest, he'll say something lke 'You can find your own way out, can't you?' - a relic of the old social belief that guests shouldn't wander about unaccompanied

b

Status
Not open for further replies.