1. Unregistered

nothin' but net

ok.... here's what i'm trying to figure out. Let's say you're watching a FOOTBALL game and the kicker kicks a field goal from a considerable distance and the ball goes through the center of the uprights.... Now, the sportscaster says "... well, that was nothin' but net".

He used a basketball reference to describe an event that happened in football... there is a name for that ---- what is it called?

thanks,

-ryan

Re: nothin' but net

Nothin' but net is a basketball metaphor.

From Word Daze: Basketball Metaphors
    "One indication of the popularity of any game is when the game's jargon becomes a metaphor used outside of the game for everyday situations in real life. From basketball there are two significant examples of this phenomenon: slam dunk and my bad."

Does the help?

thanks for the reply.... but, i was thinking there was a more specific term for the transfer of one "activity-specific-saying" to another situation.

If i say "that guy really burns me up"... it's a metaphor - but "burns me up" is not specific to any activity or occupation. In other words, you couldn't really say that it was a Blacksmith metaphor, or a Chef's metaphor, even though both make use of fire in their occupation.

here's another example:
    Sticking with the field goal example - if the kicker misses the uprights completely, one could say that he "hooked it" or that he "sliced it". The terms "hook" and "slice" are already metaphors in the context of golf, but we're transferring that already-established-metaphor to a completely different sport (or situation).... it's almost like a double metaphor or a metaphor of a metaphor.

I'm only sticking with the sports theme because there are so many metaphors to choose from in sports.... it doesn't necessarily have to be about sports.

My wife says that i'm just torturing my self........

Quote Originally Posted by slpcorner View Post
    it's almost like a double metaphor or a metaphor of a metaphor.
    I see what you mean. There doesn't seem to be a term for it that I know, but I know (of) someone who most likely does know: http://cogsci.berkeley.edu/lakoff

The email address is listed at the bottom of that page.

Let me know what you find out