summariztion

Students want to find the best way to put information into their long-term memories. They want to be able to remember the information later for tests. What is the best way to learn information so that they can remember it later?

Does “#1 students want to find the best way to remember information” summarize this part?

Does this remember mean bring back to your mind or memorize? I think it means bring back to your mind. If so, it is wrong. Because in the second sentence remember is used as bringing back to your mind, I think. The word learn is used to mean memorize.

To learn the most in a two-hour study session, study different kinds of material : a half hour on grammar, 15 minutes on vocabulary, 20 minutes on writing, and so on.

Does “#2 we should study different kinds of material at one time” summarize this part?
    I think so. But I question at one time Does it mean a two-hour study session in this case?

You forget most quickly right after you read or hear something new. You should review right away, and if possible, explain it to someone else. When you review and test yourself on the material, you are being active ; active learning is better than just reading or listening. You remember more and save time in the end if you spend at least one-third of your time on active review.

Does “#3 reviewing and explaining information are ways to be active in learning” summarize this part? I think yes.

Why I’m asking this is I have to choose TWO correct summarizations out of the three. Please help me.

Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: summariztion

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Students want to find the best way to put information into their long-term memories. They want to be able to remember the information later for tests. What is the best way to learn information so that they can remember it later?

Does “#1 students want to find the best way to remember information” summarize this part?

Does this remember mean bring back to your mind or memorize? I think it means bring back to your mind. If so, it is wrong. Because in the second sentence remember is used as bringing back to your mind, I think. The word learn is used to mean memorize.

To learn the most in a two-hour study session, study different kinds of material : a half hour on grammar, 15 minutes on vocabulary, 20 minutes on writing, and so on.

Does “#2 we should study different kinds of material at one time” summarize this part?
    I think so. But I question at one time Does it mean a two-hour study session in this case?

You forget most quickly right after you read or hear something new. You should review right away, and if possible, explain it to someone else. When you review and test yourself on the material, you are being active ; active learning is better than just reading or listening. You remember more and save time in the end if you spend at least one-third of your time on active review.

Does “#3 reviewing and explaining information are ways to be active in learning” summarize this part? I think yes.

Why I’m asking this is I have to choose TWO correct summarizations out of the three. Please help me.

Thank you very much.
    I've underlined what seems to me to be the topic sentence; the 'summary' doesn't cover this.

Thank you extremely very much BobK.

I asked teachers here whether #3 summarizes or not, but my question was not good. I’m sorry. Is #3 itself correct or not? Does it express some part of the meanings of the sentences correctly?
    Although #3 does not cover the underlined part, the writer said “if possible, explain it to someone else,” I think, as an example of active learning. So, is “#3 reviewing and explaining information are ways to be active” itself not necessarily wrong whether reading and listening are active or passive learning? I think the writer used “reading and listening” as examples of passive learning, correct? If you don’t have to choose two of the three, do all of the three express even some parts of the sentences correctly?

Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Thank you extremely very much BobK.

I asked teachers here whether #3 summarizes or not, but my question was not good. I’m sorry. Is #3 itself correct or not? Does it express some part of the meanings of the sentences correctly?
    Although #3 does not cover the underlined part, the writer said “if possible, explain it to someone else,” I think, as an example of active learning. So, is “#3 reviewing and explaining information are ways to be active” itself not necessarily wrong whether reading and listening are active or passive learning? I think the writer used “reading and listening” as examples of passive learning, correct?
    Partly, but a student can be actively engaged in a reading or listening exercise. Reading and listening can be passive learning methods though - reading a grammar book, say, or listening to a teacher saying 'this is how you do it'.
    If you don’t have to choose two of the three, do all of the three express even some parts of the sentences correctly?

Thank you very much.
    You're welcome.

b

Thank you very much BobK