1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Talking How can I say?

This mail I sent to my friend today, and what I would likto know is in the brackets.... or if you will see some different stupid mistakes, you can tell me. Thank you much:)

Hi Julie
    This is first email which I got from you. It isnīt first? :( Because if not I donīt know what happend :( This is really first.
    I would like to join you tommorrow. I will send you sms, if you arenīt on internt now. But I need to say this to my family and probably I can go. ( How can I say "I can go" in future time? or is this formulation good? )

I will let you know as soon as I will know it. (and is this sentence good?)
    Zuzka

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Doa View Post
    This mail I sent to my friend today, and what I would likto know is in the brackets.... or if you will see some different stupid mistakes, you can tell me. Thank you much:)

Hi Julie
    This is first email which I got from you. It is the first, isn't it? :( Because if not I donīt know what happen[e]d :( This is really my/the first.) I would like to join you tom[m]orrow. I will send you a text or'I'll text you' as you arenīt on the internet yet. But I need to ask my family first; I can probably [note the word order] go. ( How can I say "I can go" in future time? or is this formulation good? If you want to use the future, you could say 'I will probably be able to go'; but 'I can' is OK as it is. )

I will let you know as soon as I [will] know [it - I wouldn't say it's wrong, but it certainly sounds strange.]. (and is this sentence good?)
    Zuzka
    Doa. Welcome. By the way, you might like to think about having a different username. "DOA" is an abbreviation used in hospitals to mean 'Dead on arrival', and it's used as a metaphor for something that shows no sign of 'life': 'I ordered this computer ten days ago, and it was DOA when I received it in the post this morning.'

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I'm having a hard time understanding your message. I think you forgot to close your brackets so this adds to the complexity of your message.

Do you mean something like this:

"Hello Julie,

This is the first e-mail I got from you. It is, isn't?
    I'm not sure about the meaning of "It isn't first". I assumed you weren't sure whether or not it was the first e-mail.
    I would like to join/meet you tomorrow.
    Maybe saying "meet" would be more appropriate. I'm not aware of the context, so it's up to you to figure it out. You would say "join" if she has an activity planned and you would like to join her. Otherwise I would say "meet", or "hang out" as the cool kids like to say.
    I will send you SMS unless you're on the internet right now.
    Again, kind of confused. Why can't you send her SMS if she is on the internet? I'm guessing it's because if she's on the net you will contact her via e-mail or something...
    First of all though, I have to ask my parents if I'm allowed to go.
    You said family but I think you actually meant your parents. This could be a cultural difference however. Maybe all of your family makes decisions as far as you're concerned, not just your parents.
    I'll let you know as soon as possible."

A worthy attempt. Keep on writing. Practice makes perfect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Oops, it seems like we answered at the same time BobK (or rather you beat me to it by a few seconds!)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Touché

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Afterthought re 'family' - Noego's right if you're referring to your family (mother and father, brothers and sisters), but I assumed you were using 'my family' as an abbreviation for 'my host family/the family I'm staying with'; this usage is quite common, especially in the field of exchange visits and language learning.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Indeed, judging from his origin and his current location, I think that's a fair assumption.

8. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Aha thank you much to all

By the way I didnīt know what DOA means I am really not dead on arrival

And I need to ask my family, because I am their au pair

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I just hope you're not dead period.

PS: Off topic: Interestingly enough, you're name, Zuzka, is it your last name?

My family also comes from the Czech Republic and my last name is Zizka.

10. Newbie
    Student or Learner

To Noego: Zuzka is my first name

What means "My family also comes from the Czech Republic and my last name is Zizka"

Do you mean your own family?? Or are you au pair?

Hmm, now I have more time to think about what you both wrote to me in the morning. I see, that my English is really bad now.....

If I write something more, can you repair my English again? :) or somebody?

And now I have next question or two:

How can I say these sentences in past time:

"You should go there."
    "I would go there"

And so on....
    Last edited by Doa; 06-May-2007 at 21:00.