1. Unregistered

What should I do?

My english teacher (American male in his 50s) always makes uncomfortable jokes like he sneaked into a girl's dorm and stole panties when he was at university.
    I can't stand them! What should I do?

Re: What should I do?

There are several things you could do, but since I don't know the whole of it, there's only so much I can suggest at this point.

(i) You could turn the issue into a class discussion on cultural differences; e.g., how in some cultures certain topics are not discussed in public, let alone joked about by a person in a position of authority.

(ii) You could send your instructor an anonymous note or email explaining how uncomfortable his jokes makes you feel in class. Be professional; stick to the issue--don't get personal, give specific examples so as to make clear what it is exactly that you have a problem with, and above all, be kind.

(iii) You could ignore the jokes and focus on the bigger picture, your studies. Pick your battles.

All the best.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My english teacher (American male in his 50s) always makes uncomfortable jokes like he sneaked into a girl's dorm and stole panties when he was at university.
    I can't stand them! What should I do?
    I don't know the context of his story, or if there are other things he says/does that makes you uncomfortable, but I just thought I'd mention that panty raids were once a common rite of passage for university students.

However, only you know your own personal comfort level. If his stories make you feel uneasy, I think Casiopea's second suggestion is an excellent idea.

Good luck.