1. Unregistered

What should I do?

My english teacher (American male in his 50s) always makes uncomfortable jokes like he sneaked into a girl's dorm and stole panties when he was at university.
    I can't stand them! What should I do?

Re: What should I do?

There are several things you could do, but since I don't know the whole of it, there's only so much I can suggest at this point.

(i) You could turn the issue into a class discussion on cultural differences; e.g., how in some cultures certain topics are not discussed in public, let alone joked about by a person in a position of authority.

(ii) You could send your instructor an anonymous note or email explaining how uncomfortable his jokes makes you feel in class. Be professional; stick to the issue--don't get personal, give specific examples so as to make clear what it is exactly that you have a problem with, and above all, be kind.

(iii) You could ignore the jokes and focus on the bigger picture, your studies. Pick your battles.

All the best.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    My english teacher (American male in his 50s) always makes uncomfortable jokes like he sneaked into a girl's dorm and stole panties when he was at university.
    I can't stand them! What should I do?
    I don't know the context of his story, or if there are other things he says/does that makes you uncomfortable, but I just thought I'd mention that panty raids were once a common rite of passage for university students.

However, only you know your own personal comfort level. If his stories make you feel uneasy, I think Casiopea's second suggestion is an excellent idea.

Good luck.