please help

Hi teachers, please help me with the following expressions.
    1. "In the UK many people live & work in different areas,sometimes to travel 2 hours or more each day just to get to and from work" is this wrong because my teacher said this should be, "In the UK many people live & work in different areas,sometimes traveling 2 hours or more each day just to get to and from work" what is the difference here and why she has changed it? I don't think the first example is wrong.
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: please help

The first sentence is wrong. You can also correct it by saying, "In the UK many people live and work in different areas and sometimes have to travel two hours or more each day just to get to and from work.'

Say '......and why has she changed it?', not "......and why she has changed it?'

Re: please help

"In the UK many people live and work in different areas, sometimes to travel 2 hours or more each day just to get to and from work"

Is this wrong because my teacher said this should be, "In the UK many people live and work in different areas, sometimes traveling 2 hours or more each day just to get to and from work"

Your teacher's alteration is what I would have suggested.

"to travel" would imply intention to do this

"travelling" shows it is a an action that has taken place/is taking place