Page 7 of 12 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Last

Thread: adding ed

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I agree.

1. I remember (now) that I bought this car 5 years ago. :D
    2. I just then remembered that I (had) bought this car 5 years ago. :D

(had) is optional.

okay, so we use "remember" in this case for past/present tense correct?
    and "bought" functions as a participle? How do you know which one is the participle in other sentences? How can i tell if "bought" is the participle?

You use 'remember' in the correct tense, that is, present if you remember now, past simple if you remembered in a given point in the past, or even the perfect tenses if you want...
    Then you add the clause describing what you've remembered, again in the suitable tense.

Eg. You bought a car five years ago. You remember that you bought a car five years ago. Maybe it was yesterday that you remembered that you bought a car five years ago. But you may also remember that you had bought your son a car before that. You were planning to buy a new car, but hopefully you have remembered that you had bought one not long ago.

FRC

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    I agree.

1. I remember (now) that I bought this car 5 years ago. :D
    2. I just then remembered that I (had) bought this car 5 years ago. :D

(had) is optional.
    Can you explain to me again about what is the difference between the two above? thanks

"I still remember that I went out to eat at that place." <--correct?
    "I still remembered that I went out to eat at that place." <--correct?
    What is the difference between the two above?

"I still remember that I had went out to eat at that place." <--correct?
    "I still remember that I have went out to eat at that place." <---correct?

"I still remembered that I had went out to eat at that place."<--correct?
    "I still remembered that I have went out to eat at that place." <--corrrct?

Do i use "had" with "remembered"
    and
    "have" with "remember"??
    How do i know which one to use?

"If life were like that, you wouldn't need a master card." <--correct?
    "If life is like that, you wouldn't need a master card." <--correct?

What does these two sentences mean?

1. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

The first is correct, the second is not. The first means that we need a Mastercard because life isn't the way we want it to be and we need credit.

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    The first is correct, the second is not. The first means that we need a Mastercard because life isn't the way we want it to be and we need credit.
    "If life is like that, you wouldn't need a master card."

Can you explain to me about the meaning of this sentence too? Why is it incorrect?

"If I applied for that place, should I go and ask to speak to the manager?" <--correct? what does this question mean?
    "If I apply for that place, should I go and ask to speak to the manager?" <--incorrect? why? what does this question mean?

"If he kills him, he would go to jail." <--correct? what does it mean?
    "If he killed him, he would go to jail." <--correct? what does it mean?

Can you explain to me about the meaning of this sentence too? Why is it incorrect?

"If I applied for that place, should I go and ask to speak to the manager?" <--correct? what does this question mean?
    "If I apply for that place, should I go and ask to speak to the manager?" <--incorrect? why? what does this question mean?

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by jack

The first describes something real and the second describes something imaginary- the two don't go together.

They are both correct- the difference is how likely you are to apply. The second is where you are playing with the idea, but the first suggests you are thinking seriously.

The first is incorrect- it should be 'kills'. It means that the person is considering murder quite seriously. The second is correct, but doesn't suggest that there any real plans to kill.

3. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

The first describes something real and the second describes something imaginary- the two don't go together.

They are both correct- the difference is how likely you are to apply. The second is where you are playing with the idea, but the first suggests you are thinking seriously.

The first is incorrect- it should be 'kills'. It means that the person is considering murder quite seriously. The second is correct, but doesn't suggest that there any real plans to kill.

Thanks. :)
    Sorry about that I keep asking the same concept of the sentence formation over and over again, but I am working on it. I'll will try to minimize it and make your time more productive.

"If life is like that, you wouldn't need a master card." <--incorrect
    The first describes something real and the second describes something imaginary- the two don't go together. I get how the first part is something real, but how do you know that the second part is imaginary?

"If he kills him, he would go to jail." <--why isn't this incorrect? Doesnt the first describes something real and the second describes something imaginary? How do you know?

Page 7 of 12 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Last