Page 7 of 9 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Last

Thread: would or will

Code:
    I don't think that you'd want to pay for it, (if....) Conditional
    Is it wrong without the conditional part? If so, why? Why does the other one work without the conditional part?

'Would' is used when you are talking about imaginary or hypothetical things. Here in this sentence, I believe that you won't pay for it(in true). But, I am setting up an imaginary situation that you wouldn't pay for it, which is a bit contradictary to my belief.
    It's the if(conditional)-concept that being used in the sentence rather than its structure, "If..., I would..... ." Do you understand? :D

I don't think that you will want to pay for it. (Future)
    This one is not refering to any imaginary situation. It's a neutral fact that you will not pay for it. That's all.

If I use the former sentence, I'm not very confident if you would pay for it or not. That is to say, there're two possibilities, you would or you would not. If I use the latter sentence, I think you will not pay. There's only one possibility I have in my mind. But who knows if you change your mind and you will pay for it.

:) :D

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    'Would' is used when you are talking about imaginary or hypothetical things. Here in this sentence, I believe that you won't pay for it(in true). But, I am setting up an imaginary situation that you wouldn't pay for it, which is a bit contradictary to my belief.
    It's the if(conditional)-concept that being used in the sentence rather than its structure, "If..., I would..... ." Do you understand? :D

I don't think that you will want to pay for it. (Future)
    This one is not refering to any imaginary situation. It's a neutral fact that you will not pay for it. That's all.

If I use the former sentence, I'm not very confident if you would pay for it or not. That is to say, there're two possibilities, you would or you would not. If I use the latter sentence, I think you will not pay. There's only one possibility I have in my mind. But who knows if you change your mind and you will pay for it.

:) :D
    Hi there,

That makes sense to me. I'll just see if I can put it into my own words. They might turn out to be similar to yours. :)

If the speaker uses "would", then he/she sees the possibility as being more distant. To the speaker, it is less of a possibility.

If the speaker uses "will", then he/she sees the possibility as being closer to reality. It is more of a possibility to the speaker.

I don't think you'd want to pay for it if it were over $500.00.

The listener might already have considered paying for it. The speaker is more cautious. There is not a good chance that it is going to be over $500.00 in the first place - I don't think.

I don't think you'll want to pay for it if it is over $500.00.

There's more of a chance here that it could be over $500.00 in the speaker's mind for some reason. We would need more context to know what the speaker is thinking about when he/she chooses to use either the first conditional or the second conditional - would as opposed to will.

I might have more to say on this later. I might have one or two other examples. I have one with some context surrounding it.

I'll have to dig it up later.

:D 8)

Quote Originally Posted by X Mode
    That makes sense to me. I'll just see if I can put it into my own words. They might turn out to be similar to yours. :)
    Thank you, X Mode.

I love your explanation which make people dig. If there is enough oxegon and popcorn under the ground, digging can be fun!

Thanks.

Are these correct? If not, why?
    1. If I did not connect it correcly, there would be no sound. (Imaginary?)
    2. If I did not connect it correcly, there will be no sound. (What does this mean?)

Are these correct?
    3. If I did not connect it correcly, there will be no sound right now.
    4. If I did not connect it correcly, there would be no sound right now.

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

1 is correct if talking about an imaginary situation and 2 would be better if you said 'haven't connected it correctly'. I don't see the need for 'right now' in 3&4- there's no need for emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Thank you, X Mode.

I love your explanation which make people dig. If there is enough oxegon and popcorn under the ground, digging can be fun!

Thanks you, and you're welcome.

:D 8) :D

Are these correct? How come I can't use 'had'? Is it b/c of 'would', I have to use the base word? How can I say something with past participle then?

1. It wouldnít have exploded.
    2. It wouldnít had exploded.

What do these mean? Does it matter if I use present, present or past, past or present, past or present, or present past?

1. If Iím getting some proper sleep, I would be more awake right now.
    2. If Iím getting some proper sleep right now, I will be more awake right now.
    3. If I was getting some proper sleep, I would be more awake right now.
    4. If I was getting some proper sleep, I will be more awake right now.

What do these mean?
    5. I would like to thank you.
    6. I will like to thank you .

Thanks you, and you're welcome.

:D 8) :D

There's a verbal comma right behind thanks, isn't it?! 8)

Page 7 of 9 First ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Last