- Starting from the fifties [my preference would be "1950s"; also "starting in/during"] the book goes over the [delete - not required] British history, narrating the difficulties of the period following the war – those were the years of Mark growing up in a needy family (or ; in these years Mark was growing up in a needy family?) the second suggestion is clearer.
- the catalogue contains (or presents?) either
- He usually went to the theatre Arcos, actually the only theatre in his town (I want to say that where he lived there was only one theatre) - you don't need "actually" in that case.
- he read the books belonging to the Communist Party (I mean the books belonging to the tradition of this Party) Are these books issued by the Communist Party or about the Communist Party or about Communism as a political theroy?
- this discipline was a great teaching for (or to) him lesson OR taught him a great deal.
Student or Learner