has or had

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack

"Do you still take Spanish lessons? "

If use "had", how would the sentence look like?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jack said:
"Do you still take Spanish lessons? "

If use "had", how would the sentence look like?

There is no use of "had" that goes with this meaning. +|;-)

jack

I have a part of an article here:

byNaoibhO'Connor
staff writer

It was the neighbours who noticed first. Rats were crawling all over the alley behind an East Side Chinese restaurant, prompting neighbours to call the health department. David Jantzen, one of the city's 40 environmental health officers, jumped in his car and headed out to inspect the place. When he arrived, the owner claimed he hadn't noticed any problems, but Jnni/.en insisted on looking around. Downstairs, lie spotted a piece of plywood covering an acess point to the crawl space. Lifting it up, Jantzen was shocked at what he saw.

"At the bottom, there was liquid in it and it looked like sewage—that was pretty disgusting," he recalled of the incident, which occurred several years ago.
The sewer line had buckled and separated at the point where it connected with the restaurant's toilets. Customers' raw waste was simply being flushed underneath the building, attracting rats that could easily spread contaminants around the property.
The owner admitted he'd known about a leak in die sewage system, but blamed the building manager for failing" to fix it. Neither had done anything to address the health risk. Instead, they were arguing about who was responsible and who would pay for the sewer line repair. It's unclear how long the line had been broken—maybe weeks, maybe months.

"Neither had done anything to address the health risk". <---- why had?? why not have?? what difference does it make in meaning if they used "had" or "have"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jack said:
I have a part of an article here:

byNaoibhO'Connor
staff writer

It was the neighbours who noticed first. Rats were crawling all over the alley behind an East Side Chinese restaurant, prompting neighbours to call the health department. David Jantzen, one of the city's 40 environmental health officers, jumped in his car and headed out to inspect the place. When he arrived, the owner claimed he hadn't noticed any problems, but Jnni/.en insisted on looking around. Downstairs, lie spotted a piece of plywood covering an acess point to the crawl space. Lifting it up, Jantzen was shocked at what he saw.

"At the bottom, there was liquid in it and it looked like sewage—that was pretty disgusting," he recalled of the incident, which occurred several years ago.
The sewer line had buckled and separated at the point where it connected with the restaurant's toilets. Customers' raw waste was simply being flushed underneath the building, attracting rats that could easily spread contaminants around the property.
The owner admitted he'd known about a leak in die sewage system, but blamed the building manager for failing" to fix it. Neither had done anything to address the health risk. Instead, they were arguing about who was responsible and who would pay for the sewer line repair. It's unclear how long the line had been broken—maybe weeks, maybe months.

"Neither had done anything to address the health risk". <---- why had?? why not have?? what difference does it make in meaning if they used "had" or "have"?

This is a perfect example of the difference bewteen the present perfect and past perfect tenses.

The writer use "had been done" because she was talking about the time between the owner and building manager discovering the problem and the time frame of the story (which is in the past). The time of the story is set at the time that Jantzen investigated the problem. The owner had discovered the problem before Jantzen investigated it. The use of the past perfect clearly sets the time when "nothing had been done" to a time before Jantzen arrived. :wink:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If we were to use present perfect we would say, "Neither has done anything about the problem." We would be talking about a situation in the present.

jack

I have been there sometime in the last week. <--is this sentence wrong? why?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's wrong- don't use the present perfect with a time period that is complete- use the past tense. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm terribly sorry- I misread the sentence. I read 'last year', which is finished. 'In the last year' is different- it doesn't mean last calendar year, but as period of time equal to a year reaching up to now. My mistake.;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Past perfect:
  • As a young apprentice, Franklin had read a book extolling vegetarianism.
  • She had been taught badly.

Present perfect:
  • Franklin, a young apprentice, has read a book extolling vegetarianism.
  • She has been taught badly.

jack

"You have no idea how fun it is until you had one for a day." <--is this correct and what does it mean?
"You have no idea how fun it is until you have one for a day." <--is this correct and what does it mean?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jack said:
"You have no idea how fun it is until you had one for a day." <--is this correct and what does it mean?
"You have no idea how fun it is until you have one for a day." <--is this correct and what does it mean?

You have no idea how fun it is until you have had one for a day.

You have no idea how fun it is until you have one for a day."

The first means that you have had one in the past.
The second means that have one in the present.

Both are hypothetical. The speaker knows that the listener hasn't had one. :wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jack said:
So, it doesn't matter which one I use?

In this context, I would say "no". :wink:

jack

"You have no idea how fun it is until you have had one for a day. "

Why do i need "have"? Why can't i just use had alone without "have"? Is it wrong if i don't use "have"? If it is why? If it does not, how would it change the meaning of the sentence?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It doesn't work because of the 'until'. Until+ past tense is used for something that actually happened. The speaker has, presumably, one, but the sentnce is addressed to someone who hasn't, which means the present perfect works better. After until, we use the present for things with a future meaning and this can include the present perfect, which is used to emphasise the completion. ;-)

jack

"My mom has her own bike so I haven't had to take her for a ride." <--what does this sentence mean when i use "haven't had"? can i also use "haven't have" instead? if so, what would the sentence mean? If it is wrong to use "haven't have", why?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It means that until now it has not been necessary to give her a ride on his bike. 'Haven't have' is wrong because we use a past participle after the auxiliary verb 'have'. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.