• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Question hope x expect

where is the difference between hope and expect?

In the sentence "hope your dad is doing well and still making his killer pepper sauce ! "

how would a reader understand the message in the sentence? using hope, your dad , the exclamation mark and the present continuous?

thanks

Re: hope x expect

From expect - Definitions from Dictionary.com

—Synonyms 1. Expect, anticipate, hope, await all imply looking to some future event. Expect implies confidently believing, usually for good reasons, that an event will occur: to expect a visit from a friend. Anticipate is to look forward to an event and even to picture it: Do you anticipate trouble? Hope implies a wish that an event may take place and an expectation that it will: to hope for the best. Await (wait for) implies being alert and ready, whether for good or evil: to await news after a cyclone.

Does that help?

As for the present continuous is doing well, and the exclamation mark (!), what are your thoughts?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    From expect - Definitions from Dictionary.com

—Synonyms 1. Expect, anticipate, hope, await all imply looking to some future event. Expect implies confidently believing, usually for good reasons, that an event will occur: to expect a visit from a friend. Anticipate is to look forward to an event and even to picture it: Do you anticipate trouble? Hope implies a wish that an event may take place and an expectation that it will: to hope for the best. Await (wait for) implies being alert and ready, whether for good or evil: to await news after a cyclone.

Does that help?

As for the present continuous is doing well, and the exclamation mark (!), what are your thoughts?

thank you !! My thoughts about it is that when he wrote: " Please give our love to your folks ! hope your dad is doing well and still making his killer pimenta ! " it seems to me that he was trying to be emphatic and the reason I think that once he wrote please give our love to your family and I took as if he was saying that he and someone else were sending their best wishes and I replied saying that their best wishes were given to my family. And now he is being emphatic about that and there is something behind the pimenta ( pepper ) .My father makes pepper sauce and he once tried to make me invite him to come asking if my father was still making his pepper sauce and I said yes and then he told me to give our love to my family(emphasizing our) and I see you later ( emphasizing you) this conversation was on the phone.He wanted to come to propose me and talk to my father about it. So as he used the exclamation mark which i think it is emphatic he is trying to convey me the right message. I told you I am slow and if he says" hope your dad is doing well and still making his pepper sauce" it means he hopes that i will tell him to come. is there any meaningfrul use of doing well instead of saying is well ? ( my father had a heart attach last year) and he knows that. The reason that I am posting this here is that I don´t want to go into any linguistic misunderstood and lose him in this same email he wrote: "Well, guess what. We are off to Portugal for 15 days. I can´t wait."
    ( he is going with someone else ) by his sentence, no exclamation marks, only periods. he doesn´t seem very enthusiastic about it.

Would it be possible for you to take your response out of the quote box and repost it so that I can read it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

thank you !! My thoughts about it is that when he wrote: " Please give our love to your folks ! hope your dad is doing well and still making his killer pimenta ! " it seems to me that he was trying to be emphatic and the reason I think that once he wrote please give our love to your family and I took as if he was saying that he and someone else were sending their best wishes and I replied saying that their best wishes were given to my family. And now he is being emphatic about that and there is something behind the pimenta ( pepper ) .My father makes pepper sauce and he once tried to make me invite him to come asking if my father was still making his pepper sauce and I said yes and then he told me to give our love to my family(emphasizing our) and I see you later ( emphasizing you) this conversation was on the phone.He wanted to come to propose me and talk to my father about it. So as he used the exclamation mark which i think it is emphatic he is trying to convey me the right message. I told you I am slow and if he says" hope your dad is doing well and still making his pepper sauce" it means he hopes that i will tell him to come. is there any meaningfrul use of doing well instead of saying is well ? ( my father had a heart attach last year) and he knows that. The reason that I am posting this here is that I don´t want to go into any linguistic misunderstood and lose him in this same email he wrote: "Well, guess what. We are off to Portugal for 15 days. I can´t wait."
    ( he is going with someone else ) by his sentence, no exclamation marks, only periods. he doesn´t seem very enthusiastic about it.

Sorry