• Post Thanks / Like

We would need you to go

We would need you to go through them and separate them in folders on our FTP

is one of the 63 900 (no less) instances of the contruction SUBJECT + NEED + OBJECT + TO + GO found on Google ("need you to go" - Recherche Google.

Yet I could find no dictionary which mentioned the possibility of using the construction SUBJECT + NEED + OBJECT + TO + VERB.

I found 77 instances of SUBJECT + need you TO + V in the British National Corpus online, which should be more than enough, but I am still a bit puzzled as :

- all these instances are taken from transcriptions of informal conversations

- the only instance of (something which looks like) SUBJECT + NEED + OBJECT + TO + VERB:

I need you to hold the ladder,

which I found in a (bilingual) dictionary, has the following meaning ascribed to it by the translators : I need you so that you can hold the ladder. (That is what the translation implies.)

Could anyone confirm to me that SUBJECT + NEED + OBJECT + TO + VERB is, strictly speaking, grammatically correct ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: We would need you to go

Need + someone or something + to do something is grammatical. Why do you think otherwise?