• Post Thanks / Like

make and do

Hi,

I am looking for lessons for distinguishing between proper usage of make and do. I have found exercises, but no practical rules for when to use one or the other. Are there any good pages out there someone could direct me to?
    Thanks!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: make and do

Have you tried this one?: Make or Do? or "Doing Time" / ESL Lesson

There are others listed here: https://www.usingenglish.com/online-tests.html

• Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like you're coming from a French background where faire is the verb 'to make' and also the verb 'to do'. In English they are very different.

To make is normally (but probably not always) the act of producing something from a collection of other things, or to restructure some thing to produce something else, you can think of it in terms of a manufacturing industry... you MAKE a car, you MAKE a dress, you MAKE a dinner. To make is the act of creation, not servicing something that already exists.

To do is an activity which doesn't necessarily produce anything new, you can think of it in terms of a service industry....you DO the washing, you DO the accounts, you DO the dishes, you DO your hair. To do is the act of servicing something that exists, not creating something.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!