• Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Also, as well and too.

Hi.

I want to know the difference between ALSO, AS WELL and TOO. Which cases I must use them in. Is the difference about spoken and written English. Some examples would be great !

Thanks, regards.

P.S. Correct me if I've written something wrong. It's the only way I can learn.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Also, as well and too.

In short,

These three mean, we both like pizza:

1. I too like pizza.
    2. I also like pizza.
    3. I as well like pizza.

These three are emphatic; i.e., I emphatically agree with you about liking pizza.

1. I, too, like pizza.
    2. I, also, like pizza.
    3. I, as well, like pizza.

These three are ambiguous: meaning #1: we both like pizza; meaning #2: I like spaghetti and I like pizza.

1. I like pizza too.
    2. I like pizza also.
    3. I like pizza as well.

Note, also modifies the word closest to it, so place it after the subject; i.e., I also like pizza and you express this meaning, we both like pizza. Place it at the end of the sentence and it either modifies the last word; e.g., I like pizza also means, I like spaghetti and I like pizza, or it modifies the clause, we both like pizza. In short, when also occurs sentence-finally it admits ambiguity, which is why speakers might opt for (choose) too or more formal as well; i.e., as well (as you do). From a traditional standpoint, also isn't supposed to hang around at the end of a clause; too is, though.

Now, given that also and too are synonyms (in addition) and, moreover, that also admits ambiguity in sentence final position, that similarity has speakers moving too out of sentence-final position to a sentence-internal position; e.g., I too like pizza. Some writers add commas, others don't. It depends on how the person views too's function. If it's a replacement for also, then no commas are required, if it's used for emphasis, then commas are required; e.g., I, too, like pizza. Leave the commas out, though, and readers, depending on what style guide they adhere to, might assume your punctuation is incorrect.

Does that help?

[2] Which cases must I use them in? (Note, must I, not I must.)

[3] Is there a difference between them in spoken and written English?

[4] Some examples would be great! (Note, no space between the last word and the exclamation point.)
    Last edited by Casiopea; 18-May-2007 at 13:18.