1. Unregistered

pam

When referring to an item that has been removed due to a computer error, do you state that the item as "errored out" or "erred out"?There seems to be some debate within our office. Error logs are monitored and correct english should be used to explain the process to others.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: pam

It's definitely a puzzle, I agree. And given that it's "tech-talk", I don't know if we'll be able to give you a definitive answer on this one.

I found this, Re: errored out, or erred out? (2004). Here are the replies to that question:

------------

Neither. I write: "The system returns an error message."

------------
    Since this is admittedly a pretty icky term, and my issue is more one of determining accepted popular usage than finding out the "official" spelling, I let the terms duke it out in a Google death match:

errored out = 4,610 hits [today, 50,000 and some]
    erred out = 261 hits [today, almost 2,000]

We have a winner: errored out.

-----------------------

I'm an editorial type, and my objection has nothing to
    do with grammar, and everything to do with clarity.
    "Generates an error message" needs no further explanation.

------------------------

Well, what I've seen suggests "errored out" and not "erred out".

The process has probably not erred. It has encountered somebody else's error and crapped out, tossing an error message as it shut down, yes? Most programmer types and database geeks would say that it "errored out". That would contrast with, say, an uninformative crash.

Editorial types would cringe at the grammatical vileness, but the practical ones would probably accept it as "vernacular" for the industry.

------------------------

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.