• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

were/would

1. If I were more forgetful, I would write 'Young Man the the Sea' instead of 'Old Man and the Sea.'

2. If I had been more forgetful, I would have written 'Young Man the the Sea' instead of 'Old Man and the Sea.'

If the first sentence correct or should I use the second sentence? Is there a difference in meaning between the two sentences?

Re: were/would

To be quite honest, both sentences make no sense to me at all. I think it is your use of "forgetful" which is wrong - "careless" is a better word for this purpose. If rephrased this way, then I would use "might" in the first example; the second would be fine.

1. If I were more careless, I might write 'Young Man the the Sea' instead of 'Old Man and the Sea.'

2. If I had been more careless, I would have written 'Young Man the the Sea' instead of 'Old Man and the Sea.'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    To be quite honest, both sentences make no sense to me at all. I think it is your use of "forgetful" which is wrong - "careless" is a better word for this purpose. If rephrased this way, then I would use "might" in the first example; the second would be fine.

1. If I were more careless, I might write 'Young Man the the Sea' instead of 'Old Man and the Sea.'

2. If I had been more careless, I would have written 'Young Man the the Sea' instead of 'Old Man and the Sea.'
    Hi Anglika

Thanks for your reply.

What I mean is that I had forgotten that the title of the book is 'Old Man and the Sea', and so wrote 'Young Man and the Sea'. It was not because I was careless, but because I had forgotten the correct title of the book.

With the above information, do the sentences make sense?

Thanks once again.

On the basis that you had forgotten the title, then the use of "if" is wrong. "Because I was forgetful, I wrote..." OR "Because I am forgetful, I might/could have written..."

The conditionals you have used don't fit into your context, which seems to be a direct statement of cause and effect.

nb{The Old Man and the Sea]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Thanks, Anglika.

Yes "The Old Man and the Sea'. Thanks, too.