• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Holding out for a hero lyrics question

I recently watched Shrek 2. I figured before watching Shrek the third it would be a good idea to watch all its prequels. So I did. And I just fell in love with the Bonnie Tyler song used in the movie - Holding Out for a Hero. Both Jennifer Saunders, who covered the song, and the composers who rearranged the song did a wonderful job. All this is beside the point, however, as I have questions about the wordings used in the lyrics.

1. Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?

Who exactly are "the good men" in this context? the gods, Hercules and a white knight on horse mentioned in the same verse led me to think that "the good men" belong in the same setting and that they aren't simply good men as in nice guys. ...or are they?

2. rising odds

rising odds... I know the story about Hercules and his twelve trials so I sort of guessed its meaning. But how can rising 'odds' mean challenges? aren't odds chances or possibilities?

3. ...and he's gotta be fresh from the fight

What does 'fresh' mean here? fresh from the fight as in having just done and arrived from the fight? or fresh as in reinvigorated from the fight? it's one of those ambiguous words for ESL ppl like myself.

4. Larger than life

I have always thought being larger than life bears negative connotation - larger than life as hyped or exaggerated. Perhaps I got it wrong. What exactly does the phrase mean?

5. Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat

I can picture "racing on the thunder" part but not the next one. Whoever the singer is waiting for is racing on the thunder to... rescue her, the parttern all too common in fairytales. But why does he need to 'rise' with the heat??

That would be all. I would much appreciate your help.

- HKB
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 22-May-2007 at 21:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Holding out for a hero lyrics question

1 good men = desirable men (as partners) Tying it on with the gods just creates a broader picture of the good old days when men were heroes and gods carried hammers, etc, and interferred in human affairs
    2 odds- the chances of something occuring, or the proportional amount you'll win if you bet on an event, so they can change
    3 just finished fighting
    4 It can be positive- just shows a greater presence or characteristic than ordinary people
    5 Dunno- heat of passion???

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

2 odds- the chances of something occuring, or the proportional amount you'll win if you bet on an event, so they can change
    If Hercules' fighting the rising odds, does it mean he's fighting, um, rising chance of something occuring? that doesn't sound quite right to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Hey, pop songs often stretch things to get a rhyme. But don't forget that the odds against him could be rising.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

A related thought, about 3. The idea of being 'fresh from the fight' as being sexually attractive was raised in the original West Side Story lyrics. When Anita thinks about Bernardo coming back from (presumed) victory in the Rumble she sings:

He'll come in hot and tired -
    So what?
    No matter if he's tired,
    So long as he's hot.

This was made more acceptable for the film censor, with 'So what/ ... hot' becoming 'Poor dear/ So long as he's here'.

b