• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: what's that mean?

Remember that it's not, "what's that mean" but "What does this mean?":check: or "What is the meaning of this?":check:

The Chinese meaning is: 空气调节机

As for an English definition:

"An assembly of equipment for air treatment consisting of a means for ventilation, air circulation, air cleaning, and heat transfer (either heating or cooling). The unit usually consists of an evaporator or cooling coil, and an electrically driven compressor and condenser combination."

I realize that might be bit too complicated, which is why you may click HERE.
    for some more definitions.

Remember Phoenix, "What does it mean."...

Quote Originally Posted by Noego View Post
    Remember that it's not, "what's that mean" but "What does this mean?":check: or "What is the meaning of this?":check:

The Chinese meaning is: 空气调节机

As for an English definition:

"An assembly of equipment for air treatment consisting of a means for ventilation, air circulation, air cleaning, and heat transfer (either heating or cooling). The unit usually consists of an evaporator or cooling coil, and an electrically driven compressor and condenser combination."

I realize that might be bit too complicated, which is why you may click HERE.
    for some more definitions.

Remember Phoenix, "What does it mean."...
    Dear friend,

Thank you for your help.Good job.Now I remembered:what does this mean???or what does it mean????or what is the meaning of this????

Rain

Oh dear...I really do not like people who respond with dictionary definitions.

You asked for a simple explanation: An Air Conditioner is the equipment that heats or cools your building. You know, the box that blows cold air into your room!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Actually, Pedant, if you click the link I provided, you can find much more definitions, much simpler ones such as:

"a system that keeps air cool and dry"

I personally believe that having a wide range of definitions is helpful as different definitions satisfy different people.

Also note that she did not ask for a simple definition:

Would you tell me:what's than mean:"air conditioner"?Thank you
    I would agree that a simple definition is better considering her level of English, but having many to choose from is even better IMHO.

For the record I think your comment:

Was rude and uncalled for.

Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by pedant View Post

You asked for a simple explanation: An Air Conditioner is the equipment that heats or cools your building. You know, the box that blows cold air into your room!
    Hey friend,

Okay!I understand what does this mean.Thank you for your help

Rain,

Actually, Pedant, if you click the link I provided, you can find much more definitions, much simpler ones such as:

"a system that keeps air cool and dry"

I personally believe that having a wide range of definitions is helpful as different definitions satisfy different people.

Also note that she did not ask for a simple definition:

I would agree that a simple definition is better considering her level of English, but having many to choose from is even better IMHO.

Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain$Windy View Post
    Do Well!Thank you.

Rain

Quote Originally Posted by pedant View Post
    Well, the poster Rain$Windy seemed quite happy.

Please consider your audience. There are more than the three of you folllowing this thread. Stick to the topic, please. If you have a beef with someone or something they said, approach it from the perspective of the viewers; be professional--we are after all teachers. Don't take it or make it personal. If you need to do so, PM the person. Keep it out of the Forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast