one?

While large cities struggled to establish separate high schools, smaller communites could not afford to build one high school for boys and ( ) for girls.

What is the sutable word for the parenthesis? I think it is one but how about another? Are there other choices?

Thank you very much

Re: one?

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    While large cities struggled to establish separate high schools, smaller communites could not afford to build one high school for boys and ( ) for girls.

What is the sutable word for the parenthesis? I think it is one but how about another? Are there other choices?

Thank you very much
    another is fine.

Can both one and another fit?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Can both one and another fit?
    Yes, both. And some people say '... and another one for girls'. This doesn't add anything, and is probably (for that reason) best avoided - except for rhetorical effect; but it is used.

b

Thanks svartnik and BobK very much.

What is the rhetorical effect in that case? I would like to ask you to give me an example.

I'm not sure myself what the rhetorical effect could be, but I can offer you this added food for thought. Another means additionally, one more of the same, whereas one means individually, distinct; therefore, if we add the word one to your example sentence, it would put the emphasis on the difference between high schools for boys and high school for girls, whereas adding another would place emphasis on an additional high school--no gender issues there.

Does that help?

Yes Thank you very much Casiopea.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thanks svartnik and BobK very much.

What is the rhetorical effect in that case? I would like to ask you to give me an example.
    In the field of party politics; assume that there's a left-wing government, in favour of lavish education spending. For the purpose of the example, this government believes that schoolchildren do better in single sex schools.

An opposition speaker says: 'Our education funding think-tank has shown that for an outlay of N million it would be possible to build a perfectly good, state-of-the-art, co-educational school for all the children of the borough. So what does this tax-and-spend government do? They spend N million on one school for boys, and then spend a further N million on another one for girls.'

On reflection, perhaps I should just have said 'emphasis' - but I meant the sort of emphasis that is typical of public speaking.

b

Thank you very much BobK as always