1. Unregistered

mistakes in biological texts

Please tell me, are there any gramatical mistakes in these biological texts? Thank you very much!

We used 0.1% water suspension of these strains for the wetting of soils near the root during planting (doze was 165 ml/ tuber). There were 3 replicates. Inoculum- 40 grams per pot (600 ml of soil) of barley grains infected by Fusarium oxysporum. The initial quantity of nematodes and varieties of viruses were determined before the planting. The control was inoculated and infected plants and soils without any treatment. The biological effectiveness was detected by comparing variants with the infected control (potato cyst nematodes, root rot fungi, Carla and Potex viruses). The strain of P. fluorescens AR-33 (biological effectiveness - 100 %) is shown to has a highest polyfunctional activity (nematicide, fungicide and antiviral) and it is more efficient than thermotherapy (biological effect - 66,7%) . The highest nematicide activity (biological effectiveness - 66.7 %) on potato cyst nematodes had Alerin pesticide and 0.1% water suspension of mixture of B. subtilis B-2+ P. fluorescens R-33 and Enterobacter sp.+ B. thuringiensis-132. 0.1 % water suspension of B.putida+ B. thuringiensis possessed high antiviral activity.
    ---
    Inoculum- 40 grams of infected by Fusarium oxysporum barley grains per pot (600 ml of soil). The initial quantity of nematodes and varieties of viruses were determined before the planting. The control was inoculated and infected plants and soils without any treatment. The calculation of vegetative productivity (length and quantity of sprouts) was conducted in the first and second month after the planting. The dry and wet biomasses were calculated on the 60th day after the treatment. It was established that the most number of sprouts formed after the treatment of Bacillus polymyxa, A-1+ Enterobacter sp. together, the number of scions in this variant was in 2.4 times higher than in the non-treated control. The largest length of sprouts were in the variant with P. fluorescens-AR-33 treatment (on 58.8 % higher than in the control), in the variant with B. subtilis (on 35.5 % higher than in the control) after the treatment of tubers and soil near them with 0.1 % water suspension of B. thuringiensis-132 (on 32.1% higher than in the control), P. fluorescens (on 28.5 % higher than in the control) and P. fluorescens+ Enterobacter spp. (on 27.6% higher than in the control). The biggest biomass of sprouts and roots was in the variant with Bacillus polymyxa, A-1+ Enterobacter sp. treatment (the weight of sprouts was on 14,5% and the weight of roots was on 18.8 % higher than in the control). The positive effect on biomass was after the treatment of tubers and soils near them with 0.1% water suspension of P. fluorescens AR-33+ B.subtilis B2 (on 6% of wet biomass and 15.2 % of dry biomass higher than in the control).

Re: mistakes in biological texts

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please tell me, are there any gramatical mistakes in these biological texts? Thank you very much!

We used 0.1% water suspension of in these strains for the wetting of soils near the root during planting (doze was 165 ml/ tuber). There were 3 replicates. [you need to list the three separately - I don't know which are which, presumably one was the control, but I can only see one other, the 40grams per pot - what is the third one?]

Inoculum:- 40 grams per pot (600 ml of soil) of barley grains infected by Fusarium oxysporum. The initial quantity of nematodes and the varieties of viruses were determined before the planting.

[new paragragh]
    The control was inoculated and infected plants and soils were given no without any treatment. [the original sentence doesn't mean anything: do you mean to say "The control was inoculated, and the other infected plants and soils were not given any other treatment" ? ]

The biological effectiveness was detected by comparing variants with the infected control (potato cyst nematodes, root rot fungi, Carla and Potex viruses). The strain of P. fluorescens AR-33 (biological effectiveness - 100 %) is shown to has a highest polyfunctional activity (nematicide, fungicide and antiviral) and it is more efficient than thermotherapy (biological effect - 66,7%) . The highest nematicide activity (biological effectiveness - 66.7 %) on potato cyst nematodes had Alerin pesticide and 0.1% water suspension of mixture of B. subtilis B-2+ P. fluorescens R-33 and Enterobacter sp.+ B. thuringiensis-132. 0.1 % water suspension of B.putida+ B. thuringiensis possessed high antiviral activity.
    ---

Inoculum:- 40 grams of barley grains per pot (600 ml of soil) infected by Fusarium oxysporum . [ this appears to be the same thing as above - 40grams of barley grains infected by Fusarium oxysporum - is this a mistake?]
    The initial quantity of nematodes and varieties of viruses were determined before the planting. The control was inoculated,and infected plants and soil were given no without any treatment. The calculation of vegetative productivity (length and quantity of sprouts) was conducted in the first and second month after the planting. The dry and wet biomasses were calculated on the 60th day after the treatment.

[new paragraph]
    It was established that the most number of sprouts formed after the treatment of Bacillus polymyxa, A-1+ Enterobacter sp. Together, the number of scions in this variant was in 2.4 times higher than in the non-treated control. The largest length of sprouts were in the variant with P. fluorescens-AR-33 treatment (on average 58.8 % higher than in the control), in the variant with B. subtilis (on average 35.5 % higher than in the control) after the treatment of tubers and soil near them with 0.1 % water suspension of B. thuringiensis-132 (on average 32.1% higher than in the control), P. fluorescens (on average 28.5 % higher than in the control) and P. fluorescens+ Enterobacter spp. (on average 27.6% higher than in the control). The biggest biomass of sprouts and roots was in the variant with Bacillus polymyxa, A-1+ Enterobacter sp. treatment (the weight of sprouts was on average 14,5% and the weight of roots was on average 18.8 % higher than in the control). The positive effect on biomass was that after the treatment of tubers and soils near them with 0.1% water suspension of P. fluorescens AR-33+ B.subtilis B2 (on average 6% of wet biomass and 15.2 % of dry biomass higher than in the control). [I don't know if the use of average here is correct, but the use of "on" on its own isn't correct]
    Whoa....this goes a long way beyond most English teachers. Thankfully, I'm an Engineer - I can help with some of this but I can't be 100% accurate on the biology. Some of your detail is confusing... I've added comments in the quote above - deletions are in gray, additions are in red, my comments are in green.

You really need to get someone fluent in Biology AND English to check this for you.
    Last edited by pedant; 01-Jun-2007 at 02:38.