• Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

with

Are these sentences correct:

1-With him, you shouldn't ask, you should just take. Or else, you won't get anything.
    2-With him, you can't ask for favors, you should just accept what you are given.
    3-With him, you can't ask for favors, you should just accept what he gives you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: with

The underlined parts are okay, but you have comma splices. You need either a semi-colon or full stop after "favors."

The first sentence doesn't seem entirely natural to me in its punctuation, but as I was about to write my suggestion ( ... just take, or else you ... ) I realized I didn't like it any better. How about this: ... just take. Otherwise, you...

Re: with

Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    Are these sentences correct:

1-With him, you shouldn't ask, you should just take. Or else, you won't get anything.
    2-With him, you can't ask for favors, you should just accept what you are given.
    3-With him, you can't ask for favors, you should just accept what he gives you.

With him, you shouldn't ask. You should just take, or (else) you won't get anything.

or

With him, you shouldn't ask; you should just take, or (else) you won't get anything.

...same pattern with the other two sentences. The word "else" is a little redundant; it's an extra word you don't really need, but you can use it for emphasis if you want.