1. Unregistered

by imputation

"I know, you're impatient. Never mind the preliminaries, you want to hear about the visit (to prison) itself. All right then. But by imputation, you asked for it.

What does "by imputation" means?

Thanks!

Diana

Re: by imputation

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    "I know, you're impatient. Never mind the preliminaries, you want to hear about the visit (to prison) itself. All right then. But by imputation, you asked for it.

Thanks!

Diana
    Definition of imputation - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

If you click the red speaker, you can hear how it's pronounced in American English.

I have MW, but I still don't understand it. It doesn't make sense to me in that sentence.

D.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

take this sentence:
    he kindly imputed my clumsiness to inexperience (attributed it to inexperience). I am inexperienced by imputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Thanks!

Diana

The way I see it as used in context, then, is like thus:
    But [because you are impatient and so eagerly/urgently/desperately/etc want to hear about the visit itself instead of the preliminaries], you asked for it.

It basically means by attribution or by cause. Since the person is impatient, then...because of his/her impatience...s/he is going to get it...whatever "it" is...most likely just the hearing of the visit itself.

Why the author chose to make the character say that, I'm not sure. It might be to flex the author's "literary muscle"...or to give the impression that the character saying that is trying to offer some warning to the other character in that hearing about the visit itself and skipping the "preliminaries" may not be wise. I could go into some sort of analysis, but I don't have the whole literary work in front of me to read before and after the passage you gave.

Other than that, it's a bit redundant...which is why it probably doesn't seem to make sense to you. That's my opinion.

Thank you both! Now it's clear.

BTW, this book I am working on (I'm a translator) is full of such "imputations", "overtly ulteriors", "prissy dabblings", "introductions to corruption" and stuff.
    I appreciate your help!