Ruckus, what?

Good morning;
    I'm going to translate in italian the last album by B. Dylan, namely "Modern Times".
    Well;
    The first song, on the second line, has:
    " a ruckus in the alley and...."
    Ruckus?
    a) heavy or big motorbike?
    b) big noise?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ruckus, what?

Quote Originally Posted by chomsky5 View Post
    Good morning;
    I'm going to translate in italian the last album by B. Dylan, namely "Modern Times".
    Well;
    The first song, on the second line, has:
    " a ruckus in the alley and...."
    Ruckus?
    a) heavy or big motorbike?
    b) big noise?

Thanks in advance.
    Definition of ruckus - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

I would go with "big noise." It usually means a disturbance and is sometimes linked with chaos, disorder, and mischief. I don't hear it much in modern, everyday speech, but I think it was more in use in earlier decades and/or by older people (older than myself anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by zeryphex View Post

I would go with "big noise." It usually means a disturbance and is sometimes linked with chaos, disorder, and mischief. I don't hear it much in modern, everyday speech, but I think it was more in use in earlier decades and/or by older people (older than myself anyway).

Me, too.
    But the assonance with "Iraq" will be lost.
    In italian we don't have a word which gathers and contains "Iraq, big noise and the vehicle that, years ago, when Dylan (and me too) was young, symbolized positive energy while, today, is a death symbol. Right?
    Anyway, thanks zeryphex;
    I think that "chaos" is the best choice.

Red face Re: Ruckus, what?

.....and, needless to say, I have to remember to write it down "caos". That is to say the correct transcription for the greek item.
    Sorry

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by zeryphex View Post

Maybe it's migrated. I assumed (when I read this thread this morning) it was an Americanism; we (I thought) prefer words like 'shindig' Online Etymology Dictionary or 'kerfuffle' Online Etymology Dictionary. But I heard it on the BBC4 radio news (The World At One today): 'the ruckus about grammar schools'.

(This link will probably work only until tomorrow at one: BBC Radio Player - News & Current Affairs )

b

PS

If you want to catch this expression 'in the wild' it's about 21 minutes from the beginning.
    Last edited by BobK; 30-May-2007 at 16:42. Reason: PS added