• Post Thanks / Like

Which?

A child's desire to be like others is encouraged by school policies. Japanese public primary education emphsizes uniformity and conformity. Although children are free to wear what they like, the school discourages individualism. Last year, Emma's third grade class performed on stage a well-known Chinese classic featuring a monkey with magical powers. As there are never enough roles to go around, students share parts. Each of the main characters was performed by two or three students. Everyone has to say a few lines because because school policy demands equal opportunities for all.

Which is the example the writer says that indivudalism is not emphasized in the carruculum of Japanese education?

#1 Some students share the same roles
    #2 Students are not allowed to wear what they like.

The answe is #1

Is this because students are discouraged to wear what they like but no allowed and it is not a curriculum?

Thank you very much.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which?

The passage states "children are free to wear what they like", but it's discouraged. So, #2 is false.

• Post Thanks / Like

A case in point, when I was teaching in Japan for the Board of Education, a boy was given a gift from his American uncle, a feather-filled winter coat, which he wore to school and didn't take off in class. (There are no heaters in the classrooms or in the school and, trust me, it's very cold!) The teacher and the students in the boy's class openly admired the coat, adding that they wouldn't need such a warm coat, because a truly strong person ignores the cold. The boy didn't wear the coat the next day. It was discouraged. Peer pressure.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much Casiopea. I understand the reason and the definition of the word discouraged, peer pressure. As a Japanese, I understand the boy's situation in his class room clearly as if I were among them.