Lightbulb calling

"What is calling you? When I ask people this question, the first I often get is nervous laughter, and then a look that says, you don't expect me to answer that, do you? ------------ There are many kinds of calls; it may be the internal knowing that points the way to your life's vocation or something much smaller that helps guide you to the next place or the next experience. " What does the word "call" used in different tenses in the above paragraph mean? When one says " what is your calling", it is understood, he is asking about your accupation. But the sentence in question is "What is calling you?" Does the word "call" here is used for its simple literal meaning?

Re: calling

Quote Originally Posted by Romel Panzer View Post
    "What is calling you? When I ask people this question, the first I often get is nervous laughter, and then a look that says, you don't expect me to answer that, do you? ------------ There are many kinds of calls; it may be the internal knowing that points the way to your life's vocation or something much smaller that helps guide you to the next place or the next experience. "

What does the word "call" used in different tenses in the above paragraph mean? When one says " what is your calling", it is understood, he is asking about your occupation. But the sentence in question is "What is calling you?" Is the word "call" here used for its simple literal meaning?
    Yes, and no. In this question, the questioner is seeking to find out what religious/moral force is important to the person - what it is that is calling the person to follow a particular way of life/belief.