present perfect

"All that has happened in the past century makes me believe that we are travelling along a road which leads to a brave new world."

Why is present perfect used in the sentence? I was taught that if a sentence contains a time expression (from the past), present perfect tense cannot be used. Why was it used here, then?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: present perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    "All that has happened in the past century makes me believe that we are travelling along a road which leads to a brave new world."

Why is present perfect used in the sentence? I was taught that if a sentence contains a time expression (from the past), present perfect tense cannot be used. Why was it used here, then?
    Here the author doesn't mean the definite time in the past. If we say "last century" instead of "in the past century" Past simple is needed.
    All that happened last century makes me believe that we are travelling along a road which leads to a brave new world.
    Do you feel the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Here the author doesn't mean the definite time in the past. If we say "last century" instead of "in the past century" Past simple is needed.
    All that happened last century makes me believe that we are travelling along a road which leads to a brave new world.
    Yes, I think I do! Thank you really very much!

Yes, that's it! Moreover, the speaker/writer is proably at the end of "the past century" (e.g. 1999) but still in it, so it is connected to the speaker/writer's present time.

Fiona

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Yes, I think I do! Thank you really very much!
    You are most welcome,Lenka! I didn't know that you also celebrate the end of school with the ceremony of "The Last Bell". It'was very kink of you to write about it.

You are most welcome,Lenka! I didn't know that you also celebrate the end of school with the ceremony of "The Last Bell". It'was very kink of you to write about it.
    Well, it's a different thread, but it doesn't matter . What do you mean by "It'was very kink of you to write about it."?
    (I'm sorry, my English is still not just perfect .)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Wink Re: present perfect

Well, it's a different thread, but it doesn't matter . What do you mean by "It'was very kink of you to write about it."?
    (I'm sorry, my English is still not just perfect .)
    No wonder you couldn't understand the message. I'm sure Harry had the word 'kind' in mind while writing the message.
    By the way, the word 'kink' means 'a problem that is strange in its nature'.

Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    No wonder you couldn't understand the message. I'm sure Harry had the word 'kind' in mind while writing the message.
    By the way, the word 'kink' means 'a problem that is strange in its nature'.
    Oh, Thank you! This does make sense to me .

Anyway, did you really mean "kind", Harry? I don't find it "kind"...
    Actually, all the people here who answer my stupid questions about English are very kind to me. Thank you for your helpfulness!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Oh, Thank you! This does make sense to me .

Anyway, did you really mean "kind", Harry? I don't find it "kind"...
    Actually, all the people here who answer my stupid questions about English are very kind to me. Thank you for your helpfulness!!
    Yes, it was a typo. I meant "kind". Do you want to take my advice? Don't translate everything from English into your language directly.You'll have a lot of problems. Better think how you say the same in your language.Cheers!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Can we explain like this :

Present Perfect is also used when there is an unknown time, speaker does not know when the exactly it happened. Thats why Present Perfect has been used here.