Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    #1

    past / after

    He would return home past / after dinner time and ate the food that his mother had left for him.


    Which word in bold should I use? Or is there a better word? Are there any errors in the sentence?



    Many thanks.

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #2

    Re: past / after

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    He would return home past / after dinner time and ate the food that his mother had left for him.


    Which word in bold should I use? Or is there a better word? Are there any errors in the sentence?



    Many thanks.
    It sounds to me like this:He would return home after dinner time and ate the food that his mother had left for him.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    #3

    Re: past / after

    Thanks, Harry.

  2. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #4

    Re: past / after

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    Thanks, Harry.
    You are most welcome, Kohyoongliat! Will you write another nick especially for me. This one is too long for me to remember.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    #5

    Re: past / after

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    You are most welcome, Kohyoongliat! Will you write another nick especially for me. This one is too long for me to remember.
    Just call me 'Koh'; it's my surname. Is 'Koh' good enough?

    I would like to thank you for all the help you have rendered me.

  3. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #6

    Re: past / after

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    Just call me 'Koh'; it's my surname. Is 'Koh' good enough?

    I would like to thank you for all the help you have rendered me.
    Thanks to you too, Koh! We are both very young and energetic teachers. Our students must be proud of us. In my native language there is a saying:if you don't praise yourself nobody will do it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #7

    Re: past / after

    'He would run home after......................and eat the food......................'

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    #8

    Re: past / after

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Thanks to you too, Koh! We are both very young and energetic teachers. Our students must be proud of us. In my native language there is a saying:if you don't praise yourself nobody will do it.
    "If you don't praise yourself nobody will do it." Among the Chinese in Singapore, if you praise yourself, they will think that you are boastful. We would prefer others to praise us and we will have to appear humble. If you say "What you said is true", you will again appear boastful.

  4. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #9

    Re: past / after

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    "If you don't praise yourself nobody will do it." Among the Chinese in Singapore, if you praise yourself, they will think that you are boastful. We would prefer others to praise us and we will have to appear humble. If you say "What you said is true", you will again appear boastful.
    Of course I have changed it a little. It really sounds like this:If you praise yourself nobody will do it later. Or like this: Let the others praise you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    #10

    Re: past / after

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Of course I have changed it a little. It really sounds like this:If you praise yourself nobody will do it later. Or like this: Let the others praise you.
    The above is more acceptable to Chinese Singaporeans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Yesterday a past time?
    By shun in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2008, 19:54
  2. Can have + past participle #2
    By riverkid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2006, 07:54
  3. A strange use of tense
    By shun in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2006, 02:45
  4. Past Participle
    By Fazzu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2006, 05:13
  5. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 01:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •