Studying England

Hello, at first I wanted to ask a question in "Intermediate" but I didn't have the access. So exuse me.
    I'm very interested in studying in England, but i'm not live there. And I want to know :What I must to do to have a chance to join in well college or university of GB. Now I'm improving my english skills. And heard something about tests like TOEFL or something like that. I'm in need of infromation about it. And will be very happy if you would help me.
    first of all i need some information about universities ,which not so expensive or its have an ability to pay for studing after it.
    second , I want to know what tests i should to pass to join in this uneversities
    and thirthly i would be very thank, if you help me to make my english better by giving some tests to me , whiches will help to me in the future.

Thanks a lot, yours Alex.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Studying England

Firstly, the Intermediate folder (and the others in that section) is just for polls asking questions, so access is restricted- people can reply in threads, but not set up new ones. It's for practising, not asking questions.

To enter a university in the UK, you would need to have your acdemic qualifications recognised and meet the language standards. There are twoi main tests - Toefl and Ielts - that are used, though some places acccept exams like the Cambridge Advanced. Each university can set its own standards required, so the best thing is to contact individual universities and ask them. It also varies between courses; things like computer programming, where high standards of English are less important, require a score significantly lower than law. What nationality are you? If you are from outside the EU, then, I'm afraid, you'll find that the courses are very expensive, though there are variations in price. EU citizens and EFTA ,members get the same prices as UK citizens.

I'm from Lithuania(EU) , but have another passport. I want to start changing it in next few months. But I heard that's too long and I just will haven't a time to make inquirys in universities(in may 2008 I have been done school). What I should to do, so as to "kill both rabbits at the one moment". -> To change my passport and to try luck in joining universities.
    Its very important for me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

As a Lithuanian, you would be treated as a home student. This means you would have to pay up to 3,000 a year ( Payment by degrees - homepage ), though this can be deferred ( Payment by degrees - Other FAQs ), but you would not be entitled to maintenance support as you are not resident there.

You can check the validity of your qualifications here: UK NARIC - National Recognition Information Centre

You offer me home education? I want to live in England , cauze there is I have an ability to earn money for education. as my family not too rich to pay 3k pounds per year for my education.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Private tuition is also very expensive in the UK. I haven't lived there for a few years so don't know the exact prices, but I imagine a private tutor would cost 15 an hour.