Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Angry Grammar Doubts

    Have has two meanings.

    How to make it as a question?
    regards,
    Raja.

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #2

    Re: Grammar Doubts

    Welcome, Raja.

    Statement: Have has two meanings.
    Question: Does have have two meanings?

    Does that help?

  3. #3

    Angry Re: Grammar Doubts

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Welcome, Raja.

    Statement: Have has two meanings.
    Question: Does have have two meanings?

    Does that help?
    Thank you very much Mr.Casiopea.

    How to go to Chennai? or
    How can I go to Chennai?

    Which one is correct?

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #4

    Re: Grammar Doubts

    Both are perfectly correct!

  5. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #5

    Re: Grammar Doubts

    I'll politely disagree with engee30.

    Master Raja, your first example sentence needs a subject; moreover, the verb go is awkward. Try,

    [1] How do I get to Chennai?
    [2] How can I get to Chennai?
    Does that help?

  6. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #6

    Wink Re: Grammar Doubts

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    I'll politely disagree with engee30.

    Master Raja, your first example sentence needs a subject; moreover, the verb go is awkward. Try,

    [1] How do I get to Chennai?
    [2] How can I get to Chennai?
    Does that help?
    Wouldn't be all right if I used the verb 'go' as a substitute for 'travel'? I think the questions would still make sense then.
    Then, as for Question 1 - that's a great example of ellipsis, don't you think?
    {Could you tell me} how to go to Chennai?

    Besides, there's another story to Question 2 - someone may have been expressing their disapproval of someone else's suggestion:
    "I think you should leave this town for Chennai."
    "How can I go to Chennai? Do you want me to leave my work, my friends, and stuff? NO WAY!"

  7. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #7

    Re: Grammar Doubts

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Wouldn't be all right if I used the verb 'go' as a substitute for 'travel'?
    Would you have an example?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30
    Then, as for Question 1 - that's a great example of ellipsis, don't you think?
    {Could you tell me} how to go to Chennai?
    It's an example of ellipsis, yes, but not one based on English syntax.

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30
    "How can I go to Chennai? Do you want me to leave my work, my friends, and stuff? NO WAY!"
    That's fabulous, yes, but it's not what the speaker was asking.

    All the best.

  8. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #8

    Re: Grammar Doubts

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Would you have an example?
    Well, as far as I know, the verb 'go' also means 'travel'. So, the question, How can I go to Chennai? would mean the same as How can I travel to Chennai? (meaning, 'What transport should I use?')

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    It's an example of ellipsis, yes, but not one based on English syntax.
    What do you mean by that, please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    That's fabulous, yes, but it's not what the speaker was asking.
    Oh yes, I do know that.

  9. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #9

    Re: Grammar Doubts

    Engee30, get to a place is more common, and How to go to Chennai? doesn't follow the rules of English.

    Does that help?

  10. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #10

    Re: Grammar Doubts

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Engee30, get to a place is more common, and How to go to Chennai? doesn't follow the rules of English.

    Does that help?
    That explains everything to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a grammar of spoken English?
    By M56 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2009, 01:58
  2. doubts in engish Grammar
    By manushadevi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-Jun-2007, 11:29
  3. Complex english grammar
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-May-2007, 08:03
  4. Grammar doubts
    By Fazzu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Jan-2007, 09:49
  5. Some doubts about grammar
    By Emanuelli in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2005, 07:15

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •