• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

than / that

The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than in western countries.
    The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than that in western countries.

Are both sentences correct and do they mean the same thing?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by kohyoongliat; 04-Jun-2007 at 15:30.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: than / that

Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than that in western countries.

Are both sentences correct and mean the same thing.

Many thanks.
    Hi, Koh!
    The first sentence is correct. The second sentence will be better to say like this:The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than in those of western countries.Cheers!

Koh, in addition,

Ellipsis (...)
    1. The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than (it is / the teen suicide rate is) in western countries.

Harry, try,

Ex: The second sentence would sound/work better this way ...

Moreover, the following sentence is awkward:

2. The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than in those of western countries.

Any comments on why?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I don't understand why the second sentence is not correct.

The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than the teen suicide rate in western countries.
    The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than that in western countries. (by not repeating 'teen suicide rate', I use 'it')
    Why is the sentence incorrect?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Wink Re: than / that

Who made you think that it is incorrect? There's nothing wrong with the sentence, nor with the pronoun 'that' referring to the phrase 'the teen suicide rate'.

The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than the teen suicide rate in western countries.
    The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than that in western countries. (by not repeating 'teen suicide rate', I use 'it')
    Why is the sentence incorrect?
    Hi K
    I think C was referring to Harry's sentence, not yours!
    F

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Hi Fiona

So the second sentence is correct, isn't it?
    Do both sentences mean the same thing?

Hi Fiona

The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than in western countries. see below!

Hi K,
    I believe that although your first sentence is very common in speech (again, back to obvious context), it would not be acceptable in formal writing.

Comparative phrases must have parallel structure with that which is being compared (here, it is "the teen suicide rate"), so you must repeat that item in the second part of the comparison (after "than") or, as you correctly did to avoid redundancy, use a pronoun referrent (in this case "that").

Because most native speakers would assume the first sentence is the same as the second, they do mean the same thing even if the first isn't complete!

Hope that helps
    Fiona

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Originally Posted by kohyoongliat
    Hi Fiona

The teen suicide rate is higher in Asian countries than in western countries. see below!

Hi Fiona,
    If my sentence is correct, why is there a cross beside the sentence? Should it have been a tick instead?

Best wishes

Hi K,
    Sorry to confuse you! I just wanted to indicate that it isn't technically correct but frequently used, so who can say it is totally wrong or totally right?! !!
    F

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast