• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Wink I need somebody help (again...)

Hello, I need somebody help..p.p.p.again...

1) The happy advantage of a democracy is that we are free to puff our books as hard as we can manage and be perfectly safe of any harm. I want no family of any respectability to sleep unapprised by the time we go to the binders.

What does the red sentence mean? to publish or bind the books before the other peolple will notice? and the family of any respectability = famous or high class family?

2) "The Corporation lords over the university's reputation by controlling every word allowed past the gates - anything unknown, anything unknowable, stands to frighten them beyond measure." He picked up the pocket edition of Divina Commedia. "Here is revolt enough between two covers to unravel it all. The mind of our country is moving with the speed of a telegraph, and our great institutions are stagecoaching behind it."

What does the red sentence mean? Oh, Divina Commedia is one of three parts of the italian literature. So, two covers here = the rest two parts of this author's book? ane what or why to "unravel it"?

3) If you passed close enough to Dr. Holmes or were on of those amblers who wielded your pen on behalf of your autograph book, you could here him humming with purpose.

The red sentence = to borrow your pen to ask for Dr. Holmes autograph for your book? and the pink sentence = Holmes was really humming a word or song, right?

4) Just a few years before the war, it seemed the only book in the world was his Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table, the serialized essay with which Holmes had surpassed all expectations by inventing a new attitude for literature, one of personal observation.

So, can we say that Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table is the first book by Holmes that offered the personal opinion that had never been done before in the literature world?

5) He believes he should command the same view of the Boston Common on his father would have were he alive, on the basis of name alone. And wants everyone to know it, too.

"command the same view" = to stroll to see the view around the Boston Common or to stroll around so the people in that area (may) recognize him as they did to his father (because his father was famous in Boston)?

were should be when, don't u think? and

what doesn "on the basis of name alone" here mean? what name?

6) literary mementoes and autographs = pictures of poet/writer with their autographs?

7) I see you've met Daniel Teal. Couldn’t keep a hotel, but as hard a worker as we have". (p 19) Poor lad, still green aroud the ears at the firm and nearly knocking heads with Oliver Wendell Holmes!

The Teal guy is a new (still green aroud the ears at the firm) clerk in the publishing house but why couldn't keep a hotel?

8. what does "petty vanity" mean?

9. He sniped, knowing Field’s sensitivity about the reception of his puffs.

what does it mean? He = "A" who talked to Field the bad things about "B".

10. I don't want anyone to come to a notion that we are not behind this to the end.

the red sentence = don't want other people to think that we do not hurry to finish this job??

11. We would be lost spirit without him....means????

Thank you.u.u.u.

Re: I need somebody help (again...)

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    Hello, I need somebody help..p.p.p.again...

1) The happy advantage of a democracy is that we are free to puff our books as hard as we can manage and be perfectly safe of any harm. I want no family of any respectability to sleep unapprised by the time we go to the binders.

What does the red sentence mean? to publish or bind the books before the other peolple will notice? and the family of any respectability = famous or high class family? I cannot make sense of these sentences without more context. but a family of respectability is one that regarded by society as being proper, correct, and good

2) "The Corporation lords over the university's reputation by controlling every word allowed past the gates - anything unknown, anything unknowable, stands to frighten them beyond measure." He picked up the pocket edition of Divina Commedia. "Here is revolt enough between two covers to unravel it all. The mind of our country is moving with the speed of a telegraph, and our great institutions are stagecoaching behind it."

What does the red sentence mean? Oh, Divina Commedia is one of three parts of the italian literature. So, two covers here = the rest two parts of this author's book? ane what or why to "unravel it"? The text of the Divine Comedy, which is held between a front and a back cover, contains enough revolutionary concepts to place the Corporation at risk.

3) If you passed close enough to Dr. Holmes or were one of those amblers who wielded your pen on behalf of your autograph book, you could hear him humming with purpose.

The red sentence = to borrow your pen to ask for Dr. Holmes autograph for your book? and the pink sentence = Holmes was really humming a word or song, right? Not enough context to know - Was there any reference to Dr Holmes humming?

4) Just a few years before the war, it seemed the only book in the world was his Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table, the serialized essay with which Holmes had surpassed all expectations by inventing a new attitude for literature, one of personal observation.

So, can we say that Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table is the first book by Holmes that offered the personal opinion that had never been done before in the literature world? This book was the first in which "personal observation" was the basis for the essay.

5) He believes he should command the same view of the Boston Common on his father would have were he alive, on the basis of name alone. And wants everyone to know it, too. This sentence makes no sense at all - have you missed something out?

"command the same view" = to stroll to see the view around the Boston Common or to stroll around so the people in that area (may) recognize him as they did to his father (because his father was famous in Boston)?

were should be when, don't u think? and

what doesn "on the basis of name alone" here mean? what name?

6) literary mementoes and autographs = pictures of poet/writer with their autographs? possibly - could also be pens, blotters, inkwells - anything used by the writers.

7) I see you've met Daniel Teal. Couldn’t keep a hotel, but as hard a worker as we have". (p 19) Poor lad, still green around the ears at the firm and nearly knocking heads with Oliver Wendell Holmes!

The Teal guy is a new (still green aroud the ears at the firm) clerk in the publishing house but why couldn't keep a hotel? Means he is not very clever.

8. what does "petty vanity" mean? "petty" means trivial/of little importance - so vanity that was trivial.

9. He sniped, knowing Field’s sensitivity about the reception of his puffs.

what does it mean? He = "A" who talked to Field the bad things about "B". He was making nasty comments, knowing that Field was sensitive about the promotion of his work.

10. I don't want anyone to come to a notion that we are not behind this to the end.

the red sentence = don't want other people to think that we do not hurry to finish this job?? That we will support it for as long as is needed.

11. We would be lost spirit without him....means???? Does not make sense. Are you sure you copied it right?

Thank you.u.u.u.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: I need somebody help (again...)

Hi Anglika,

I tried to explain the context as much as I can and the red text lines are what I did not understand, pls help clarify, tks.

1) The context is...

Mr. A didn't want Mr. B to publish a book so Mr. A came to warn B and tried to do everything to stop Mr. B and his team. Mr. B then asked his secretary to place a gossip bit in the newspaper about this newcoming book. His secreatary then asked:

"Ah, is the author done already?" The secretary asked brightly.
    Mr. B pursed his full, overbearing lips. "Did you know that Napoleon once shot a book peddler for being too agreesive?"
    The secretary considered this. "No, I hadn't heard that, sir"
    "The happy advantage of a democracy is that we are free to puff our books as hard as we can manage and be perfectly safe of any harm. I want no family of any respectability to sleep unapprised by the time we go to the binders." And anyone within a mile of his voice would believe he would make that happen. "To New York, for immediate inclusion in the 'Literary Boston' page'." Then Mr. B started writing the gozzip bit and asked his secretary to send to New York.

3) Dr. Holmes was humming because he got a check with a big numbers but he was not sure if it was a mistake (and surely he didn't want that). So he directed to the publishing house. On the way, he was stopped by his fan. If you passed close enough to Dr. Holmes or were one of those amblers who wielded your pen on behalf of your autograph book, you could hear him humming with purpose.

the red text = to borrow your pen to ask for Dr. Holmes autograph for your book?

5) Samuel Ticknor, one of the clerks, was passing an overlong goodbye with Cecilla Emory as he slipped on his gloves. Not the average publishing house clerk, Ticknor would be welcomed home by wife and servants on one of the most desirable corners of Back Bay. He met Dr. Holmes.

Dr. Holmes took his hand. "Grand place, isn't it? I'm half surprised Mr. B hasn't gotten lost in here yet."
    "Hasn't he" Samuel muttered back seriously, followed by a light snigger or grunt.
    Mr. B's secretary came to usher Homes upstairs. "Pay him no mind, Dr. Holmes" He sniffed, watching the him in question saunter onto Tremont Street and toss money at the peanut vendor on the corner as he would at a beggar. "I daresay young Ticknor believes he should command the same view of the Boston Common on his father would have were he alive, on the basis of name alone. And wants everyone to know it, too."
    Dr. Holmes had no time for gossip - not today, at least.

Note: Samuel was a son of the old owner of this publishing house. But now the publishing house belonged to Mr. B.

11) Mr. B was a publisher of two poets, Holmes and Lowell who liked to sharpen their wits against each other, Mr. B doing what he could to discourage them. The competed mostly for attention. Mr. B was worried about more than the return of serious tension between two of his best poets: he was worried Lowell would stubbornly try to prove that his doubts about Holmes were correct. Mr. B could not afford that any more than he could afford Holmes' trepidation.

Mr. B made a show of his pride in Holmes, standing beside a framed daguerreotype of the little doctor that hung on the wall. He put a hand on Lowell's shoulder and spoke with sincerity. "Our club would be a lost spirit without him, my dear Lowell. Certainly he has his distractions, but that's what keeps his brilliance. Why, he's what Dr. Johnson would have proclaimed a clubbable man. But he's been there for us all along, hasn't he."

12) New one

Mr. A resumed his place and sat up straight with dignity. He picked up the newspaper. As he read Mr. B's puff on the "Literary Boston" page, as his hand throbbed at the points where his skin was broken, the following thoughts, more or less, passed through his mind: Mr. B believed himself invincible in his new fortress...That same arrogance worn proudly by Lowell like a new coat...Long remains untouchable; Greene, a relic long a mental paraplegic...But Dr. Holmes...the Autocrat courts controversy only out of fear, not principle...The panic on the little doctor's face as he watched what befell Prof. Webster those many years ago - not even the murder conviction or the hanging, but the loss of his place, which had been earned in society by such a good name, by training and career as a Harvard man...Yes Holmes; Dr. Holmes shall prove our greatest ally.

Note: Mr. A, Lowell, Long, Homes were Harwad fellows. Dr. Holmes wrote "The Autocrat ot the Breakfast-Table".

Thank you.u..u.u.,