• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

combination bulk

Hello, everyone.
    I can't clearly understand the following two expressions in bold type. Could you please explain what they mean in easy English?

1. Inspired by what they saw, they installed new combination bulk and package bins, plus a new conveyor composed of nine separate belts.....

2. These included variable start times, working as directed with minimum work rules, working across job classification, combination jobs, part-time employees for half the workforce.....

Thank you.

Re: combination bulk

You have to give me more context. What is it related to?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

OK. Both the two quotes are related to UPS, the delivery company. Let me provide you some more context.

1. Keeping packages moving took constant innovation. Jim Casey and engineer Russel Havighorst returned from an investigatory tour of Eastern cities in 1927. Inspired by what they saw, they installed new combination bulk and package bins, plus a new conveyor composed of nine separate belts, each feeding a big metal chute---a slide that delivered the packages to a sorting point.

2. Jim Casey invited the Teamsters to represent the several dozen UPS drivers and...... The relationships from this early proactive position led to future union contracts with many necessary flexible features. These included variable start times, working as directed with minimum work rules, working across job classification, combination jobs, part-time employees for half the workforce, and mandatory overtime as needed.

Could you explain the expression "working across job classification", too? At first, I thought I could understand it. However, the more I think about it, the more confused I am.

Thank you.

"combination bulk and package bins" - bins in which both bulk material and packages were stored/placed [bulk material = material for bulk deliveries]

"working across job classification" - workers can carry out jobs that are not necessarily within their own fields.

"combination jobs" - probably jobs in which two or more roles are combined {for example- driving/loading/warehousing}

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Smile Re: combination bulk

I see.

Thank you for the help. It's been very helpful.