slice of history

Known as a slice of history, the villas are a part of the city where life hasnít changed much from the sixteenth century. The old East Indian villages keep alive the age when you could shout out aloud to your neighbours and pat someoneís pet dog on along your evening stroll.

Please explain the highlighed parts. (I know the individual word meaning but I can't understand it as a whole)

Re: slice of history

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Known as a slice of history, the villas are a part of the city where life hasnít changed much from the sixteenth century. The old East Indian villages keep alive the age when you could shout out aloud to your neighbours and pat someoneís pet dog on along your evening stroll.

Please explain the highlighed parts. (I know the individual word meaning but I can't understand it as a whole)
    A paraphrase:

This part of the city is old, dating from the 16th century, and the way of life is one that is like the old days, a time when you talked to your neighbours and took a quiet walk in the evening, perhaps stopping to pat a dog that is someone's pet.

Thank you Anglika (For all threads)

Could you explain the `slice of history' which I have highlighed?

It implies that this district has not been modernised and that its buildings and way of life are those of the past.